Alone

Agatha's POV:
It is strange, missing someone.
You see them everywhere, but it's not noticeable at first, only hints of their eyes, their hair, their laughter, trailing after you like a ghost, a spirit of their presence. But then, after a while, it becomes more intense. Every corner you turn you see them, walking  just around the next bend. Every person you talk to starts to smile, and talk, and laugh like them.
She saw Sophie everywhere.
That's why she didn't realise who she was seeing at all when they bumped into each other, on the way to one of their rare shared classes. Agatha thought it was just another reflection, another haunting reminder of all she had lost. Until the girl she bumped into shot her a glare so spiteful it turned her insides sour with pain. Only one person could affect her like that.
Sophie.
It was really her, down to the ridiculous pink dress, hiked an inch higher than the other Evergirls', and the perfectly coiled hair, not a strand out of place.
For a second, the two stood in place, regarding each other with distrust, distaste, and somehow , impossibly, the remmenant of love.
It is hard to let someone go when you have held them tightly to you for so long.
But then any lingering feelings vanished in Sophie's eyes, turning them cold and dark. She dusted down her dress, stood up straighter, and left Agatha once again, to pick up the broken pieces of her heart.
Sophie and Agatha had last spoken two weeks ago, when Sophie called Agatha a "dog" and said she would be alone forever. This was the first time they had even made eye-contact, always avoiding each other, and skirting around one another's presence. It was torture for Agatha, who had no other friends, as she had been shunned by even the Nevers for being too much of a recluse in her own school.
Agatha had nothing.
No-one.
She lived off of fantasies of her ex-best friend and the stale school air.
But no longer.
Hatred rose in a steady wave, drowning any dregs of attachment remaining, until Agatha felt blinded by her anger, her rage.
How could she?
How could Sophie just abandon her?
When all she had been was supportive and kind, Sophie had been controlled by her spite and jealousy.
Any onlooker could see clearly, that their roles has been reversed, or perhaps this has been their true natures all along. Maybe they weren't in the right schools at all.
But Agatha was too caught up in her tangled emotions to recognise this. She was going to change. And change for the better. No more Sophie. No more barely trying in her lessons, still holding onto the tiniest bit of hope that she'd one day return home, to her mother and her cat. No. Now it was time to accept her fate, and to excel at it. If she was to be alone, she'd be so repulsive that even she feared her own reflection. If she was so evil, she'd beat Hester to that number one spot and claim all that she wanted, no matter what she deserved. She would banish all positive thoughts of Sophie from her mind and embrace her full potential with open arms.
Until her old best friend begged for mercy at her feet.

Hi guys, I know this is a short chapter, and I know I haven't updated for a while, but I'm going to try and do so more regularity from now on! I hope you liked the chapter and can't wait to see the story unfold as much as me!
- izzie