The Mistake

Agatha's POV:

Agatha was dragged roughly into School for Evil, wolves snarling at cowering children, who were being towed alongside her, into the cavernous halls of the looming castle. Teachers peered down scathingly at their new students, with hints of distaste and barely concealed grimaces. Altogether it was an uneasy scene, of discomfort and annoyance.
Somebody stuffed a crinkled piece of parchment into Agatha's hands, with what was presumably her timetable written on it.
Although wait a second...
this wasn't her timetable.

It was Sophie's.

Confusion swirling around her mind, Agatha took a deep breath before approaching a formidable looking woman, dressed entirely in a depthless indigo.

"Excuse-me, hello?" Agatha stuttered, and the woman looked down at her, lip curling.

"Yes?" The woman replied.

"My name's Agatha, and I was just wondering if -"

"Do you know who I am?" the woman interrupted.

"Um.. not exactly, I'm new - a giant bird just dropped me in that moat over there," Agatha gestured with a hand that dripped brown lake sludge onto the already grimy floor. The woman looked at her with disgust.

"Ah, I see. A reader,"

Agatha didn't know what a "reader" was exactly, but from the woman's tone, it didn't sound good. She gulped nervously, hoping that the interaction would end as swiftly as possible.

"I am Lady Lesso, Dean of the School for Evil," she said imperiously.

Great.

Out of all the people Agatha could have asked it had to have been the dean.

" Well, sorry to bother you, Dean Lesso," she continued with trepidation, "I have a slight problem. This timetable isn't actually addressed to me, and this girl - Sophie - is my best friend, but..." Agatha didn't know what to stay, or how to phrase the fact that her naturally good best friend was actually meant to be in evil school.

"But what?"

"Sophie is in the School for Good,"
Agatha doubted that Lady Lesso was going to believe her. Even to her it sounded ridiculous.

"Well, we don't make many mistakes here at the School for Good and Evil,"

Agatha lost any hints of hope she might have had of being believed.

"So that's all the more reason to look into it," Lesso replied cooly.

Agatha couldn't believe her luck, the dean was going to help her find Sophie! In the brief moments during which Lady Lesso had been talking, Agatha had been forming an uncertain plan. A plan to rescue her best friend, and get them home.

Now all she had to do was succeed.

Sophie's POV:

Sophie had been so caught up with deciphering the Schoolmaster, that she hadn't realised that she was going to be late for class. What was it again? Sophie checked her timetable. Oh, yes, animal communication with Princess Uma.
Wait.
Who's name was on her timetable? Sophie glanced down again and caught sight of Agatha's name, printed in leafy text above her timetable.
What?
There must have been a mistake. Agatha could not be good. Anyone could tell that Sophie was born to be a princess, and Agatha was fated to be a witch for Evil. Nevertheless, Sophie panicked, afraid that even the slightest of uncertainties would be enough to send her back to Gavaldon. Promptly, she stuffed the guilty timetable uncomfortably into the bottom of her heels. There.
Problem solved.

Sophie arrived at her first lesson exactly on time, which earned her curious looks from the rest of her class, who had naturally all arrived ten minutes earlier to help their teacher set up. She scowled at them all and sat down on the grass, before bouncing up again - it was sopping wet with early morning dew. All around her, students were doing the same, some actually yelping with surprise. What a bunch of wimps, Sophie thought to herself, as if she hadn't been the first to act in such a manner.
Princess Uma looked at them all, face taught with false sympathy, as she sat down upon a rock, perfectly dry and under the shade of a large elm tree. Sophie had thought that teachers of good were supposed to be generous, but, oh well - she'd just have to stand up.

"Good morning everyone! Welcome to your first lesson here at the School for Good!" Princess Uma squeaked.
Her voice was so high-pitched that the frequency actually threatened to damage Sophie's eardrums.
"Today we'll see what your deepest wishes are, with our very own wish fish!"

As Uma continued to chatter about pointless things - like not to think too much whilst interacting with the fish - psh easy, Sophie wondered what her deepest desire would be. To marry a prince, or to rule a kingdom? So many things were filling her head, that when it was time for Sophie to submerge her finger into the pond for the fish, disgusting, they only formed a hazy grey cloud.

"Foggy mind dear!" Princess Uma said, stepping forward to usher her away. However, before Sophie could even scowl on the irritating princess' direction, something strange happened. The fish started to swim around hectically, much more frenzied than they had been previously. It was as if Sophie had electrocuted them - their movements turned frantic and jerking, some were even flopping straightout of the water and onto the muddy bank, such was the force of their energy. Suddenly, the jerking ceased, but before Sophie could attempt again to free herself, the fish began to take shape, and Sophie screamed.

Princess Uma dashed away, to get Good's dean for help above her pay grace, whilst Sophie yelped with pain. She didn't even get a chance to glimpse her deepest wish, before another shock pulsed through her body. Each one resounded deep in her bones, causing her very muscles to spasm, stretch and strain, her nerves jumping. The shocks were relentless, each one seemingly driving Sophie closer to a painful ending. The agony was too much for her to bear, she had to break free. Sophie tried desperately to free herself, yanking at her arm still in the lake, but the fish wouldn't let go - surprisingly strong, despite their unassuming appearance.

After what felt like hours, but really had only been a few minutes, the Dean arrived. Dean Clarissa Dovey of the School for Good took one look at what was in Sophie's pond, and had to hold on to Uma for physical support. Her face slowly drained of all colour and the Dean whispered something in the princess' ear, barely restraining her panic. Sophie could only catch a few words, something along the lines of. "He can never know what she truly saw," but the pain was too much for Sophie to concentrate further. All she could note, in fact, through her mind-splitting pain, was that Uma too, began to shake.

"Dovey,'" Uma spoke to the dean in hushed tones. "We need Lady Lesso,"
The Dean - Dovey - nodded, and immediately Uma ran towards the castle's pearlescent walls. Dovey ran up to Sophie, who was now writhing on the floor, even through the agony, desperate to see what was lay in the lake in front of her. Sophie dragged herself to the edge of the pond, scraping past the weeds and uncaring of the damage surely being done to her dress, for once.

Then she saw the cause of all the worry, and the fish immediately abated their restless torture.

Sophie was immediately perplexed. All she could see was the image of a coldly handsome boy, with frosty white hair and ice blue eyes, not to mention smooth alabaster skin. (She needed to know his skincare routine).
Why were the teachers so scared of this boy? Everybody else in her class had seen their true loves, so why couldn't she? But then, Sophie was reminded of the pain she had been in, and the shocks that had nearly killed her. Maybe the teachers understood what was going on,and thus she looked up imploringly at Dean Dovey, who smiled down at her comfortingly, if a little strained.
Before Sophie had a chance to say anything, however, the Dean hushed her with a clipped "not now dear," and ushered her towards halfway bridge.

Neither girl knew what was going to happen, but both were hopeful as their Deans took them to meet, directly under the Schoolmaster's Tower.