Chapter 1: Three

Voices yelled behind Nova as she ran through dark and deserted streets. She made a quick turn and was headed for a sewer grate at the end of the street. Two men ran after her. Nova was too far ahead for them to catch up though. She dove into the sewer grate in octopus form.

When she came out the other side, she laid down on the cold ground. Her Octarian armor clanked on the cement.

"Reschedule the train."
"To when?"
"Tomorrow. And go let ____ know."
"On it!"

The two men had left from trying to catch her. Nova wasn't paying attention to it. Nova threw the goggles off of her head and picked up her glasses from the ground. Her throat was incredibly dry and she was exhausted. Nova looked around at all the apartment buildings surrounding her, it was night so all the lights were turned off.

Right in front of her was a yellow inkling. They were wearing some old clothes, shorts, flip-flops, and a captains hat with a hole in the back. Around their right eye was bruised teal. The inkling held their hand out to Nova. She was confused but took it and got herself up. When the inkling opened their mouth Nova expected some weird language from them, put surprisingly they spoke Octarian. Their grammar was really bad though.

"Are you ok?"

It shocked Nova.

"Water."
"To drink?"
"Yes, please."

Novas voice was as dry as her throat. The inkling took Nova into the apartment building and to their apartment. Then the inkling gave her a cup of water. When she drank three whole cups of water, she spoke.

"What's your name."
"3"
"Like the number?"
"Mhm. What yours?"
"Nova."
"Hehe, supernova."

Nova squinted at 3.

"You can stay here if you want. I don't have a guest room though, so couch where you can sleep."

Nova nodded, how is this inkling so confident though their grammar is HORRIBLE. 3 gathered blankets and set them on the couch. Then tossed an IPad into the pile too.

"If you're going to stay, learn some inklish."

Nova sat down and the IPad had some green owl app.

After 3 had fallen asleep, Nova spent her night on that creepy owl app. By morning, she didn't get any sleep. Though Nova didn't mind. When 3 came out and poured themself some cereal, they poured an extra bowl for Nova. She noticed and took it. Then when she finished, she put it back. A while later, when 3 was done, they noticed Nova was awake.

"You look tired."
"Didn't sleep"

3 slowly nodded.

"In that? Looks uncomfortable."

Nova was still wearing the armor. She forgot but when 3 pointed it out she remembered how hard it was to breathe in it.

"Not as uncomfortable as you think."

She lied. Nova looked back at the IPad and it's battery, 10%.

"Can you charge this?"
"Mhm."

3 took it from Novas hands and took it to their room.

That morning, all Nova could think about was her friends reaction to her leaving. When it was almost 11 am, 3 had to leave.

"I'm going to grab something from the store for lunch. You gonna stay here?"
"Mhm."
" 'kay"

That bird app was actually really good.

Nova looked around at stuff on shelves and photos from the couch. The biggest photo had three inklings, a manta ray, an octoling, and some squid jerky thing. 3 wasn't in the photo though. 3 did have a lot of books.

It's been 30 minutes and 3 isn't back. So Nova got up and got herself water with the same cup from last night. She heard footsteps behind her. Nova turned around, it was him.

It's been 30 minutes! 3 was rushing back to their apartment. They quickly opened the door and dropped the grocery bag. A man was holding Novas limp body and was in the middle of climbing through the window.

"Put her down."

He didn't respond.

"If you try to leave, it's day so everyone'll see you."
"This isn't my first time here, squid."

He jumped out.

"WAIT!"

3 looked out the window but he was gone. They didn't know what to do. They were freaking out. After about a minute, 3 called Marina. She was smart and could definitely help. Pearl came along too. 3 has only known Nova for a few hours, but they needed to get her back.