Chapter 7: Pool

Nova woke up, her whole body hurt. She slowly sat up in her bed and looked at herself. Bandages covered her arms and her body. Maya quickly entered the room which scared Nova and made her jump.

"Can you stand?"

Nova tilted her head in confusion.

"I said, Can You Stand?"

Nova swung her legs onto the ground and stood. She was shaky and almost fell, but she caught herself and sat back down. She started reaching for her glasses but Maya snatched them.

"I need you to wear these instead."

She held the shades. Then Maya slowly slipped them onto Novas face. She stood up again, with a blank expression on her face. Maya led her out of the room and into another. The girl from the other day was already there.

"Why can't I move my body. It's walking without me making it. Where am I?"

She looked around. It was nothing but an endless void of darkness. She could hear voices echoing around her, despite her being alone.

"So we just put them both in there?"
"Yeah, you haven't done this before?"
"No."
"Just shove her in there."

The girl from yesterday was shoved into a pool of sanitized ink. Maya smiled, and the assistant who shoved the girl in the pool ran out. Then she patted Nova on the back.

"Who was that?!"
"You ready?"

Nova didn't respond. Maya giggled and pushed her into the pool of sanitized ink. She got in half way to her knees, and from Maya pushing her, the shades fell off. The palms of her hands pushed onto the wall to keep her up.

"Just go in!"

Maya pushed her again, Nova fell into the ink, but held herself up on her hands. It burned as it splashed onto her cheek. It was like being thrown into a fire.

Nova screamed. She was pulled from the void she was inside and back into her eyes.

The sanitized ink was above her knees and slightly above her elbows. The scream only came out as a faint mumble. Despite the amount of pain she was in. She lifted herself from the pool of ink. Maya walked back,

"Y-you're not supposed to be doing this. You're supposed to die!"

Nova flung sanitized ink onto Maya. Then she grabbed her before she could run out of the room. Nova gripped her shoulder and spun her almost into the pool. She grabbed a handful of sanitized ink and smeared it on Mayas face. She was screaming in pain as it went into her eyes. Maya started to run out of the room. Nova had another handful of ink, and grabbed Mayas shirt to pull her back. She wasn't expecting this, neither was Nova, she forcefully poured the ink into Mayas mouth. At this point, she couldn't scream. All she could do was cry and fall to the ground as the ink dissolved her from the inside out. Novas heart should've been racing now, but when she felt for it, she couldn't feel it beat. She didn't pay it attention though and threw Mayas body out of the room.

It had been a minute since an octoling ran past them begging to not die. After that, there had been a ton of screaming coming from one room. As everyone began walking towards it, someones body was thrown out from the room. The sanitized ink covered it, and it was even coughing up the ink. When they peeked inside the room, they saw somebody. It was a sanitized octoling inside a pool of sanitized ink. They seemed to be pulling something out of the pool. Probably because they were, and it was another sanitized octoling. After pulling them out of the pool, they laid on the ground. The first octoling noticed Pearl, Marina, 3, and 8 watching her. It looked like she didn't know who they were. 3 looked at her hands, one of them had a yellow wristband around it. It had Novas name on it.

"That's Nova!"

Nova sat up when she heard her name. She looked at her friend, they were probably dead. Then she looked at her arms, the sanitized ink had dripped off of them and her legs. Somehow the bandages hadn't dissolved.

Nova studies the people staring at her. She squinted to try and see them better.

"Are you 3?"

She tried to ask.

"Are you Nova? Give me a thumbs up if you are."

Marina said. Nova barely made out what she said, but gave her a thumbs up. 3 started to cry a little, then hugged Nova tightly.

Maya coughed out the last bit of sanitized ink before she died. Pearl kicked her,

"Shut up, you're not a part of this."

"I'm so happy to have you back!"
"3, get off of her, she needs to get to a doctor quick."

3 wiped their tears and held their hand out for Nova.