15

Still attached by Soobin's side, my mother decided to stand behind my step-father as if supporting him but I knew that wasn't the case. I think. I could feel Soobin's grip tighten around my arm, squeezing me as if I was going to disappear into the thin air at any moment now.

"Yeobo, this is Soobin," Eomma answered my step-father's question calmly. "This is Aera's friend."

I could feel Soobin go rigid beside me at the word 'friend'.

"You look like a gangster," my step-father informed suspiciously as I bit back my tongue from confirming his suspicions.

"Glad I do," Soobin replied sternly.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose, wanting to get out of this suffocating air and right on queue, the front door flew open, allowing in a cold rush of wind before someone closed the door. I whipped my head around to see both Maki and Taki mumbling something to each other before blindly making their way into the kitchen.

They halted right when their eyes looked up, assuming from the tension in the air as their eyes travelled towards mine, locking gazes as their faces broke into huge smiles. Their smiles were infectious as a smile of my own appeared, quickly rising from my seat as I threw myself into their arms, feeling the both of my engulf me tightly.

"Aera, what are you doing here?" Taki asked, pulling away as his eyes instantly searched for injuries. A habit he had began to adapt to when he first moved in.

"You aren't expected back until..." Maki paused, lifting up his fingers and counting each of them. "Well, I don't know."

I laughed. "I wanted to check on how you guys were doing when you know..."

Taki and Maki sighed heavily and nodded, Maki patting my head softly before looking at Taki who was already making eye contact with someone behind me. My eyes widened at the realisation as I slowly turned around to see Soobin scratching the back of his neck cluelessly, his eyes darting back and forth at the twins, assuming to decipher which one was which.

"And you are?" Maki asked, arching an eyebrow as he swung an arm around my shoulder protectively right after shoving me in between himself and Taki.

"Choi Soobin," Soobin answered, rising from the chair and looked at me calmly.

Taki and Maki looked at each other as if they knew something but shoved it away before breaking into their boyish grins and made their way towards Soobin, bro-hugging him. I realised that there and then the twins were much more taller than Soobin and to my surprise, Soobin's height was only up to their ear which had my smile widened further.

I sighed in relief that the twins and Soobin were getting along just well.

I frowned in confusion as my eyes travelled all the way to the back to see my mother smiling and my step-father, frowning at the trio. I arched an eyebrow as my step-father clenched his fists on the table and mumbled something incoherent.

Strange.

**********

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of laughter, my ears ringing as my eyes were beginning to feel heavy again. I could feel the warm air slap my face as I kicked the blanket off the bed, yawning quite loudly as I could feel sleep running away from me. I sighed heavily and sat up, finding Soobin laughing at the wall, my brow arching at what I was witnessing.

Since it was too late to go to a Hotel, I decided that Soobin and I should stay here and sleep in my old room even though it was quite small compared to the one I had at my father's. Soobin didn't seem to mind as he casually laid out a blanket and took one of my pink pillows and quickly snuggled on the floor, already sound asleep whilst I had the nerve to stare at his peaceful state for quite a while.