Chapter 14

The smell that seems to disgust me fills my nostrils. The sounds of machines surrounded me and I couldn't help but wonder where was I. Sounds of people arguing filled the room that I was in. Some were threatening to kill each other and some were reprimanding the fight.

I opened my eyes, but the lighting in the room made me close them once again. I opened them and started looking around the room. Great, the hospital. "She's awake." Someone says from across the room. I heard footsteps coming towards the bed. I looked to my side to find Andy standing there looking worried and drained.

I suddenly felt thirsty. I try saying the words, but they couldn't come out of my mouth. I point to where the water was and saw Andy rush to the corner getting me water. Andy helps me sit up straight and drink water. I looked around the room once again and saw Andrew, Lisa and Brooke.

Lisa was looking at me with the same sadness as Andy, Andrew was busy on his phone while Brooke seems to be sleeping on the chair in the room, she looks like she's still in the clothes she was in. "How long have I been here?" I managed to say. "4 days." Andy replied. What?! I have been out for that long!? Wow... What actually happened for me to be here?? Wait... Is that how long Brooke has been here?!?

"Andy, how long has Brooke been here for?" I asked lowly. I feel like I knew the answer but I wanted her to confirm it for me... "She's been here with you for 4 days." She said confirming what I've been thinking about. I turned my head to look to where Brooke was. She definitely looked drained, her pretty skin was now paler than ever. She looks like this because of me. It's my fault everyone is here stressing about me. Sigh. She suddenly stirred up from her sleep and woke up.

She stood up and started walking to where I was. Andrew looked at her and he had realised I was awake. He looked guilty. He looked like he did something he regrets. Probably regrets marrying me. Brooke was now in front me with her hand in mine. "Hi." She said in her husky voice. She still looks pretty even with her tired look. "Hey." I said to her.

Just as I was about to ask her something, the doctor got in. "Good morning miss Wilson, it's actually a miracle that you are awake." She said smiling at me. I gave a weak smile. Suddenly her face changed from the genuine smile to a sad smile. What was happening?? Why was she suddenly looking at me like that?? "Doc, what's wrong??" I asked sincerely worried. "So I take it you haven't told her??"She said looking at Andy who was shaking her head... "What is it that they need to tell me??"

She looked at Andy and Brooke, who nodded to her. "Well miss Wilson we are so happy you are awake, but we have some bad news." The doctor said looking at me sadly. "What is it?? Am I dying??" She chuckled. "Well no, but it's something else." "What is it then??" She exhaled heavily and looked at me somehow. "The baby didn't make it." Ever had of an echo after a few words you say?? Well this is how I heard these words. They kept repeating and repeating.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... That was so hilarious doc, good one." I said wiping off my imaginary tears. The doctor's expression didn't change. I tensed as I looked at everyone in the room. No was laughing or giggling at what the doctor had just said. The doctor left. I closed my eyes in a way of taking in the matter.

"Please say something." Andrew said. How was I supposed to react to the fact of losing my baby?? My first baby for that matter. The one that I was going to raise alone. I inhaled sharply. I opened my eyes and looked at Andrew. "What do you want me say huh?? Congratulations Andrew the burden you didn't want is dead."

"Marissa you know that's not what I meant that day." I can't believe him right now. "Please go." Everyone looked at me as if I just said something insulting. "Are you all deaf or something??" I didn't want to throw a tantrum and hoped that they'd just leave my sight now.

"But Marissa-" Andrew starts speaking, but a motioned my hand to stop him from wanting to fight with me. I wasn't about to entertain him this time around. I just wanted him gone so I could be alone. Everyone left except Brooke.

I immediately broke down in tears. Brooke held me in her arms as I cried even more. I never knew how much I was feeling until now. I never knew how connected to this baby until now.

I stayed in Brooke's arms for a while. Why is all this happening to me?? Why did I ever do to deserve this??

-

"You hungry??" Brooke asks. I nod. She stands up from the bed and heads out. After she had left the doctor comes in. "Ma'am since we were able to remove the foetus, we'd like to know what you'd like to do with it." She said smoothly.

"Would you like for the hospital to cremate the foetus for you??" She asks. I nod. She walks out and Brooke walks back in.

"What was that all about??" She asked while handing me the brown paper bag. The smell of chowmein feels my nostrils. I missed me some good food.

"She was asking if I wanted the foetus to be cremated and I agreed." She just nodded. We sat there in silence while we ate our food...

This is really the way of the world.