Return (Part 2)

It was about an hour before Laurent was back in his room. When the King of Vere arrived, his hair was damp and he wore a light tunic over his clothes. His cool skin gave off a heady scent of soap and delicate oils.

Laurent strode through the archway of the double doors, looking thoughtful. Only when he crossed the room did the figure speak, looking at him from a dimly lit corner with folded arms:

"Welcome, Your Majesty!"

Laurent had too much dignity to scream, roll his eyes, or wince in shock. His reaction was more the instinctive reaction of someone with military training. He quickly reached for a dagger he carried in the pocket of his robe and dropped the towel from his hair.

Then he cursed as if he were still in the camp when he was a prince.

"I could have killed you, Damen!"

"Of that, I have no doubt! That's why I waited for you to stay far away to announce my arrival. From this distance, the most you could have done was throw me a cup..."

"I'm improving my accuracy at throwing daggers. Don't do that again!"

Laurent blushed as Damen came with his hands up. Laurent stepped forward to place the dagger on the table.

"What's going on with the King's guard? How did you get in here without me knowing about it?" the Veretian man complained, raising his vivid blue eyes under Damen's embrace, "Why am I never warned?"

Damen pressed gentle kisses to the other man's cheek as he embraced him.

"Because your guard might suspect that you like these surprises..."

Laurent's blush now reached his ears and neck.

"How did you get here so early?"

"I rode all night, using the merchants as a shortcut. I wanted to be the first to congratulate my King before Arles was swarming with visitors and officials wanting your attention..."

Then Laurent buried his face in Damen's chest and made a boyish sound that sounded like a shy teenager:

"You will be with me, won't you?"

"Of course, I'll be there," Damen said, lifting the other man's face with his index finger and kissing him on the forehead "It's your first anniversary as King since you took the throne. I know you're nervous..."

"No, I'm not, but... I'm glad you're here..."

Damen inclined his face and kissed Laurent's mouth with the familiarity and inviting feeling that this gesture gave them both. As their lips pressed together, Damen let his tongue slide into Laurent's mouth, feeling the pleasure he felt as Laurent's tender gestures showed how much he missed him too.

A new shiver set in as Laurent slid his tongue into Damen's mouth, massaging everything he could reach. There was the gentle pressure of the caress and the desire to deepen this intimacy even more.

When they finally parted their lips, Laurent was dazed as Damen took him in his arms and carried him to the bed.

The blonde man had his very white arms around Damen's neck and held himself a little stiffly as he was moved.

"You're very strong..."

"You're light..."

"I'm a king!"

"So am I. You once told me to carry the horse you were riding. I'd rather carry you like this..."

"Don't do that in public!"

"No. Only in our room, Your Majesty..."

Damen carefully set the other man down on the sheet, which slid aside under his touch. Laurent's cheeks flushed and he gradually melted as Damen kissed him briefly and stroked through the golden strands of his hair. Then Laurent placed his fingers on King of Akielos' shoulders and extended his touch to the dark hair.