Damiana (Part 3)

The training arena at Arles was a large hall with wood paneling, pressed sawdust on the floor, and a thick tree log at one end of the room

The torches were out and the room, taking advantage of the natural light, was stocked with hanging weapons; sheathed and bare knives, crossed spears, and swords. In one corner, tridents, shields, and helmets were also kept.

A log with carved and painted rings had been placed at the far end of the training room. The targets started with a larger circle and ended in the middle with a tiny target, like those used by archers in archery.

Laurent showed Damen his dagger throws and the Veretian had improved his technique a lot, hitting the core with precision. Damen took it farther back with each interval, increasing the distance between the young man and the log until the center circle of the target appeared very distant and blurred.

Laurent narrowed his blue gaze and concentration, as he found it difficult to focus while tightly gripping the handle of his arabesque dagger.

"It's impossible to hit the target at this distance..." - the Veretian declared after reaching the third circle and driving the metal edge into the wood.

"No, it's not..." - Damen replied, raising the dagger over his shoulder and narrowing his eyes for a few long seconds before throwing it at the target in one swift, efficient motion and thrusting the metal tip into the smaller circle carved into the wood.

Laurent stopped with parted lips, staring at the immobile dagger and Damen's firm stance.

"I've been practicing with Lazar, who is good at archery. We don't practice at such a long distance... My vision blurs and the dagger loses power when thrown..."

"For a second, your eyes try to adjust to the distance, and your body must be prepared for that moment. If you hold your arm and hip like this, you can better direct the dagger's path..."

Damianos touched Laurent's waist and adjusted his body militarily. He looked like a master instructing a young student to get the best marks in training on courts and battlements. Laurent listened to him and tried to correct his posture, striving to imitate the Akielon technique. For half an hour, the two continued to practice target shooting with daggers.

Then the Akielon and the Veretian each took a sword from the wall. Damen, who liked the weight of the sword, lifted it and swung it a few times, scraping the sawdust from the floor as the metal reached the ground.

Laurent stretched and rotated his shoulder again and again as he took a few short leaps, forcing his heels to adjust to the impact of the ground. He then tossed the scabbard of his sword into the sawdust, exposing the shiny, polished blade.

Both men enjoyed the physical exercise, feeling the strain on their tendons. The movement of their muscles was relaxing while thoughts disappeared from their minds and they focused only on the adjustments and rhythmic positions of fighting, defending, and falling.