chapter four

04 x here to talk

>>

It was Sam who saw the young duo pop up on live television several days after the party.

It took Pietro and I both only a few minutes to change, but Steve felt the need to walk us out of the building, which slowed us considerably. I understood why he wanted to come though; he wanted to make sure we were prepared.

"Remember, her name is Evangeline Rushing, and he's Peter Parker," Steve said as we walked. We were fast approaching the lobby doors, and I was doing a last minute check on my sash being tied well enough as Steve spoke. "They're smart kids. They may not come with you right away. So just make the offer."

"We've got it, Cap," Pietro assured him, darting around him to walk beside me. "We know what we are doing. Do not worry."

Steve sighed, slowing his pace as Pietro and I began to rush to the door. "Good luck!" he called after us.

Neither of us answered, though. We were too busy hurrying to get there; no sooner were we out the door than had Pietro scooped me up and run us both to the scene. Terra and Spider-Man were battling a loon who had found a Chitauri staff. Usually, it was the sort of situation the Avengers would handle - but the two of them had reached the scene first. And, given Pietro and I were coming here anyway, the rest of our team wasn't too worried about any huge disasters coming out of it.

Though once the idiot zapped a hotdog stand into nonexistence, I was wondering if maybe they should've been a little more concerned than they were.

Terra and Spider-Man had focused their attention on the kid. From what I could see they were trying to restrain him, or get the weapon away from him - none of which was working. They weren't doing too hot monitoring stray shots, either . . . hence the vanquished hotdog stand.

Pietro and I exchanged a fast look, nodding once before we both took off. The guy was firing like crazy, and his shots were going everywhere. I watched for a split second as Pietro rushed a few civilians out of the path of total death, before I threw up a telekinetic barrier and saved a crowd from getting vaporized.

The screams of those around the scene were starting to die down, and I could hear the whispers - "Avengers on the scene!" "Look, it's Quicksilver!" "Avengers!"

On the bright side, apparently our presence calmed the general populace.

I was just hoping we'd be just as welcomed with the young vigilantes.

>>

[ Third Person POV ]

Peter was dodging shots this guy was dishing left and right. He'd never been more thankful for his spidey-sense than in this moment. Evangeline was bringing up plants from everywhere around the man, but to no avail; he'd either blast them away, or tear them down.

"Missed me, missed me, now you gotta kiss me-" Peter sing-songed as Evangeline managed to work a vine around the man's leg.

Their opponent snarled in irritation, shooting the plant at the base and effectively exterminating it, before firing off several more quick, sporadic shots at the red-and-blue hero. Ev had learned early on not to spend too much time worrying about Peter; he was good at handling himself.

The civilians were another matter.

She watched with wide eyes as several shots went careening toward civilians, only to be surprised by the appearance of a blue blur, tearing the civilians away and depositing them somewhere far from the scene. Her jaw dropped in surprise, and when she turned to tell Peter what was happening, she caught sight of a second one, hovering in the air, eyes glowing gold, maintaining some sort of invisible shield that blocked any shots from hitting the crowds.