chapter twenty

20 x spidey and terra

>>

[ Third Person POV ]

Ev and Peter were absolutely killing it fighting off Hydra men. They had hovered around Sam once they'd come across him unconscious, and were now protecting him in his unconscious state. If you asked Ev, they were doing a fantastic job.

If you asked Peter, he would tell you he was itching to get deeper into the fight.

Vines and flora were everywhere you looked in that hall, Evangeline yanking weapons out of mens arms and tying men to the wall. Webs were dotting the greenery, usually to stop men from firing, or keep them from shouting.

To put it simply, Terra and Spider-Man were rocking this assignment.

When Ev yanked a man up and dangled him from the ceiling by his feet, Peter grinned, even though he knew she couldn't see it. "Nice one, Terra!" Peter shouted in congratulations, jumping from the wall to the ceiling before webbing two men together, causing them to knock their heads together so hard they went unconscious.

"You too, Spidey!" Ev crooned in amusement, executing a wonderful roundhouse kick that she'd been practicing since the beginning of her training.

"You know," Peter began to say, dropping from the ceiling and flipping to land on his feet. He had landed right in front of her, and he placed his hands on his hips, studying her intently as she clocked a guy. "If we weren't in an underground facility in northern Alaska, I'd probably ask you on a date. You know, romantically," he finished in a rush, already feeling his face turn bright red. "Except this is so not a romantic situation, and I--"

He cut off abruptly when his spidey sense went off, and he lunged at Ev, pulling them both up to the ceiling to avoid a blast from a tesseract gun. He could feel his face turn an even darker shade of red now at their proximity, she was in his arms, and it wasn't like it was the first time, but--

"Did you just ask me on a date?" Ev asked then, her eyes blown wide in surprise behind her black mask.

Peter coughed, trying to force some of his nerves back under control. "I--um . . . yes," he said, nodding his head vigorously.

And then, to his complete surprise, she burst into the biggest smile he'd seen on her to date. He loved that smile, and it was as she beamed at him that he felt his heart swell in happiness. "Of course I want to go on a date with you, Petey!" she declared as he began to lower them back to the ground.

More Hydra men were approaching then, and they didn't exactly get to continue the subject. Peter was still smattering his way through some sort of surprised retort when Ev expertly wound six men up in a vine and slammed them back into a wall, effectively incapacitating them. She then turned back to her partner, her smile reclaiming her face, and before Peter knew it he was being wrapped up in a tight hug.

"You--we-- yes," Peter nodded quickly, hugging her back, his own lips stretching into a smile that he knew would stay in place for quite some time. "When we get back into the city . . . you know," he tilted his head, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah, absolutely," Ev agreed, still beaming.

"Good! Good, good, great," he nodded, before his eyes slipped past her toward a small band of men that had wriggled out of her vines. They began sprinting down the hall as he watched, and it was with a slight sigh that he reached out, squeezed Ev's hand, then chased after them. "I'll be back in a minute!"

"Oh, c'mon!" Ev shouted after him, but she waved a hand dismissively as he left. She was confident he'd be back soon. And if he wasn't, she'd go after him, like she always did.

But Peter could take care of himself.