chapter fourteen

14 x i could be an okay leader

>>

Those were Red Skull's last words before he hung up with an audible click. No sooner than he did, Bucky slammed his metal arm into the wall, busting through it with ease before removing said arm. When my eyes went from the wall to Bucky's face, I could see his jaw was clenched.

Peter made a sound of obvious surprise before I cleared my throat loudly. "J?"

"Yes, Miss Sinclair," JARVIS responded instantly.

"Please tell me you tracked that signal," I said, my gaze still not straying from Bucky's face. "How about you count to ten, or--or something? I don't know, focus on your breathing, Buck."

"Please?" Peter punctuated from behind me.

I saw Bucky nod shortly before there was a little more purpose to the way his chest rose and fell, and then JARVIS spoke. "I did, Miss Sinclair. I have an address."

"Great," I said with a short nod to no one in particular. "Can you please try contacting Tony again?"

"Trying now," JARVIS informed me before going quiet.

I turned to look at Peter then. "I need you to go get Evangeline. I can't say for sure how this is going to end, but there's a good chance you could get some field work in as Avengers," I informed him calmly.

He kind of grinned before seeming to remember the circumstances, which prompted a rapid nod from him. "Yeah, yeah-- got it. I'll go get her . . . and meet you back here?" 

"Meet at the landing pad," I agreed with a nod. "Now go."

Peter didn't need any more prompting -- he was out of the room fast, practically running. I turned my attention back to Bucky then, who, despite looking a little less agitated, now had murder practically glowing in his eyes. "JARVIS?"

"Yes, Miss Sinclair?"

"Any luck?" I asked, tilting my head at Bucky and making a goofy face before returning my attention to the AI.

"Not yet."

I nodded slowly. "Okay," I said, "Wanda and Vision are still in the Tower, correct?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Contact them now," I commanded slowly, "and send them to the teams last known location."

"Of course."

Bucky's jaw shifted as he glanced around the room before focusing back in on me. "You know, for a short stack such as yourself, you do pretty okay planning things."

"Thanks," I said, giving him a dry look. "Maybe I'll lead a team mission sometime," I said sarcastically. "You need to go get Sam."

His brow furrowed in evident disagreement, but before he could speak, I was quick to follow up my statement.

"Vision and Wanda'll have the three of them back up here in no time," I explained informatively, "and given they took the quinjet -- they did take the jet, right, J?"

"Mr. Stark did take the jet," JARVIS agreed. 

I continued, "They'll be back here in no time. There's nothing for you to worry about. Red Skull's not in the same location as them, otherwise JARVIS would've informed us of that right off the bat. Right, J?"

"Indeed, Miss Sinclair."

I gestured pointedly up at the ceiling. "See?"

"I feel like you've switched up JARVIS's programming so he just agrees with everything you say," Bucky muttered, still not seeming pleased with my idea.