A Resurrection and A Hellful Thought

THE THIRD NIGHT

THE THIRD NIGHT

No sooner had Lilith uttered "he's dead" that everything went to Heaven.

The scene around Galaxy melted away, only for her to have the misfortune of materializing mid-air in the dining room, high above everyone else.

As she plummeted to the ground, she spread her wings wide and caught herself, slowing her rapid-firefall.

Fortunately, she did not break every bone in her body.

Unfortunately? She landed on top of a coffin that hadn't been on the dining table before.

Lucieniel! Galaxy thought, only to have her concerns about the archangel disrupted by his sister's shrieking.

"JUST ADMIT IT!" Wrath screamed, shoving her face so close to her father's in his chair that his horns pressed against her forehead. "WE'RE A MATCH MADE IN HELL!"

Galaxy grimaced at the idea of her father and Wrath being a love match before sliding off the coffin. Many of the demons at the table glared at her, but a single swipe of her scythe in their direction seemed to silence their jeering.

Not caring to listen to the Wrath scream about 'love matches,' Galaxy lifted the coffin lid and looked inside.

Staring up at her was the frozen face of the once smug and dead Lucieniel.

Oh God, Galaxy thought. Lilith had been telling the truth.

Her Soul Guide was dead.

He'd died before she'd heard his story and what had happened between him and Mara. Had he really been going to betray her?

Knowing who to believe was hard when Heaven and Hell both seemed to partake in their fair share of villainy.

She would never find out the truth now.

A single tear fell down her cheek, which Galaxy hastily wiped away.

K9 bounded over to where she stood and pressed his little skull head up against her legs. He was too small to see the body in the coffin - not that she wanted him to see such a thing. Lucieniel's vacant expression was haunting enough.

"It smells like death in here," K9 remarked, holding his nose higher. "You didn't die and come back as a zombie, did you? Those things give me the creepies."

"No," Galaxy said hoarsely. "Lucieniel didn't make it."

The mention of the late archangel's name was enough to silence Wrath from screaming at her father - not that she was worried about him. Her father's ashen face looked as if it were accustomed to being on the other side of Wrath's one-sided screaming matches, with her doing all the screaming.

"He's dead?" Wrath said, for a moment at a loss for words.

Galaxy nodded.

She hadn't known the archangel long, but hearing his story from Lilith had touched her. Their pasts were so similar.