[1.8] Boss

As Miles' small tour on their way to Miguel's office continued, his question earlier seemed to have imprinted on Hobie's mind. He and Marina weren't dating, and he specifically told Miles' about his dislike against consistency, and labels.

For the first time in their whole friendship, Marina had openly disagreed with him. Although Hobie didn't think much of it earlier, he was now questioning things in his mind. He didn't have feelings for Marina. He didn't, he can't, and it wouldn't work out. It was stupid, but — he did have a knack for doing stupid and reckless things, didn't he?

It wasn't the first time that people asked about their relationship, but it was the first time that Hobie had wondered if there could be something more between the two. He snickered at the stupid thought, and Marina — who was walking beside him, looked at him weirdly.

"What's so funny?" She asked, and Hobie turned to her with a grin. "Ever thought of us dating?" He tilted his head, and Marina stared at him as if he was a ghost. "Excuse me?" She laughed awkwardly.

"Excused."

Marina scoffed incredulously. "No! I meant, excuse me, what did you just say? Why — Why would you... What? What even made you think about that — Are you high?" She spluttered, holding Hobie's arm so he could slow down walking. She didn't want the others to hear their dumb conversation.

Hobie furrowed his eyebrows, glancing at Gwen and Miles who were walking ahead of them before halting. "Was just a question. Why'd you seem so bothered by it?" He raised an eyebrow. Marina shook her head. "No, no. It's not like that — You just caught me off guard... M'sorry." She sighed.

"So?" Hobie stared at her, waiting for an actual response. "So?" Marina repeated, confused.

"Ever come to your lil' pretty mind if we dated?" He asked, noticing Marina's eyes wandering around the hallway. She let out a breath before shaking her head, "No. We're best friends, Hobie." She tried to offer him a soft smile. "Is it because of Miles? What he said to us earlier?"

A wave of disappointment washed over Hobie, and he didn't understand why. "Yeah. Kid messed up my mind." He muttered, and continued walking.

Marina linked arms with Hobie, nudging his side. "Don't get too caught up with it. People assume that with the both of us every time!" She chuckled, "Plus — If we did date, that would mean we'd have a label. Thought you hated those?" She tilted her head.

Hobie snickered, "I do. Can't change my mind on that."

You sure about that?

Here they were again, in Miguel's office. Waiting for him to reach their level. Slowly.

Miles stared up at him, confused. He leaned closer to Gwen, about to ask about it before she spoke. "Yeah, I know. It's slow." She raised a hand, and Miles nodded his head. "It's his thing."

Marina and Hobie stood in the corner, leaving all the talking to Gwen — who would probably just be cut off by Miguel's anger. Marina sat on an empty desk, feet dangling as they waited for absolute shit to unfold. She knew why Miles was called here. Everyone else did, but Miles.

"Miguel O'Hara? Meet Miles Morales." Gwen introduced her friend, who waved happily. "Hey! ¿Qué tal, tio?" Miles glanced at Gwen, "I speak Spanish."

Miguel didn't turn back, but by the way he was looking down with his hands balled into fists... Yeah, he was most likely furious. "Te traje una empanada —" Miguel cut Miles off by taking the box of empanada, and throwing it away.

Marina and Hobie turned to each other, understanding what was about to happen. "That's not... I'm really excited to get going. I got some fresh new ideas on how to catch The Spot." Miles says, taking a few steps forward. "He just wants to be taken seriously."

"Oh, wow! Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh." Miguel fakes a smile, before grabbing a metal box and throwing it to Miles and Gwen. "He's worried about Spot." Miguel scoffs. "I'll worry about Spot!"

Miles glances back at the box thrown to him, obviously confused. "What did I do?"

Hobie stares at the empanada on the floor, before shooting out a web to it. Marina blinks at him, about to ask what he was going to do with it until he takes a bite out of it. "Hobie."

She sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose. "What?" He raises an eyebrow, munching on the food. "That's probably dirty, you know?" Marina crosses her arms.

"Nah. Ain't missin' out on some empanada." He shakes his head, happily eating the food. Marina watches him, letting out a sigh of defeat. She turns her attention back to Miles, feeling guilty for the clueless kid.

"You blew another hole in the multiverse!" Miguel yells angrily. "He doesn't know any better." Gwen defends, taking a step in front of Miles. "I do know — what... uh, not know..." He traces off, furrowing his eyebrows.

Miguel glares at Gwen, pointing at her. "But you did, Gwen."

"And you!" He turns to Hobie who bows his head with a smile. "I was gonna try, and ignore you. I just can't with you." He waves his hand, looking away. "I thought you'd learn better with Marina as your mentor!" He groans.

Marina opens her mouth to say something, but decides against it. She's afraid it'll anger him more, and that she'll be added to the long list of things that infuriated Miguel O'Hara as of today.

"Mari's a better boss than you." Hobie casually says with a shrug, and Marina stares at him with panicked eyes. "Is she now?" Miguel narrows his eyes at Marina, who gulped nervously.

Miles looks around, head starting to ache as he tries to understand the situation. "What's happening?"

"Hey, Miguel! Go easy on the kid. He had a terrible teacher!" A familiar voice echoes throughout the room, and Hobie rolls his eyes. "Oh boy! Humbling reality Spiderman has arrived."

Miles rushes towards Peter, the both of them sharing a tight hug. "Don't be afraid of my friend Miguel. He just looks scary, he's got no bite." Peter says, grinning.

Hobie raises an eyebrow at Marina, who quickly shakes her head in disagreement.

Peter eyes Miles, patting his shoulder. "You're growing on me. You look great!" He beams, before his eyes wanders to the other people in the room. He spots Marina, and waves. "Marina! Hi bug!" He says, and Marina returns the wave with a bright smile.

Peter B. Parker was Marina's mentor. Kind of, but he was Marina's first ever friend when she first joined Spider Society. She was too shy and scared to approach anyone else, but Miguel asked Peter to tour her around.

Just like how Miguel asked Marina to 'mentor' Hobie, Peter mentored Marina. It was mostly to teach Peter a lesson on becoming more mature, but sure — to help Marina too, of course.

"Got a party in here." Peter jokes.

Miles was about to say something before his eyes drops to the baby carrier on Peter. "Wait — What's that?" He asks, and a baby babbles from the wall.

"You have a baby?!" Miles' jaw drops, and Peter stares up at Mayday with a proud smile. "Yeah! Don't forget to keep your day pass on, honey!"

"Kid's an anarchist." Hobie whispers to Marina, who giggles at his words. "You two get along well." She grins at him, and Hobie shakes his head with a small smile.

Peter chases Mayday around, Miguel pinching the bridge of his nose as he walks back and forth.

"You wanna see pictures?" Peter's eyes light up. "I mean, she's right there, so..." Gwen smiles awkwardly, before Peter wraps an arm around her and Miles' shoulder. "Look at this pic!" He laughs.

Marina stands up, rushing towards them as Hobie follows her from behind. "Can I see them too?"