[1.14] Fear

"Look, can we talk?"

Marina and Hobie stared into each other's eyes. Hobie's eyes were filled with the need for answers, while Marina's eyes were covered with nothing but fear.

She didn't even have enough time to fully process her thoughts, but one thing was certain to her – She was the issue. Clearly, Marina Parker, the girl who struggled with her emotions, who struggled to defend herself, the Spiderwoman who struggled to confront others with her own voice.

Hobie was here, on the floor in front of her, willing to talk to Marina about the incident that had happened almost an hour ago. But here Marina was, hands shaking, and heart racing as millions of thoughts crossed her mind.

She wanted to run, and never show up to Hobie again – but we all know she wouldn't have the guts to even run away from her problems.

Marina was the type to stand in front of her problems, legs wobbly, and her body completely frozen as she cowers over the towering figure of her troubles. She'd gather all her courage, if only all the courage in her body was enough to raise the platform she stood on. Either way, she'd be too scared to run away as well. And she hated every bit of herself for that.

"Okay." She managed to breathe out. Marina stood up, helping Hobie up with her. The both of them stood in front of each other, silence filling the air. Hobie stared at Marina, whose eyes wandered every corner of her apartment but Hobie.

"You mind explaining to me what the fuck that was all about?" Hobie asks, and Marina finally meets his eyes. There's this look of disbelief plastered on her face, "Don't you think I should be the one asking that to you?" She raises an eyebrow, and Hobie scoffs.

"Didn't hear a single word out of that mouth."

Marina shut her mouth, eyes moving down to her feet. She took in a deep breath, and balled her hands into fists. "What you did was extremely disrespectful. Scout was asking me for help, and you just ended the call on him like it was nothing! Not to mention the fact that he now knows about my identity. What – who do you think are?"

Hobie rolls his eyes at Marina, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Right, right. 'Cuz I'm just supposed to stand around, and wait like some dumbass when my girl walks out on me right after we kiss. Yeah?" He tilts his head.

"Excuse me – your girl? I am not your girl, Hobart." Marina snaps, glaring at Hobie. "Why'd you kiss me back then?" He asks, and Marina crosses her arms with a frown. "You didn't push me away, and for a sec there – you looked like you were going in for another one." Hobie states, taking a step closer to Marina.

Marina stares up at him, knowing the words that came out of his mouth were correct. She didn't step away, or push him. She just stood there, letting Hobie lay out all the facts from earlier. She was questioning herself too, why did she kiss Hobie back?

"You like him. Answer him – the truth." Venom encouraged in her mind, finally saying something helpful for the first time ever. "I was. I wanted to, but then I realized that it would be wrong. We're both at different stages in our life –"

"Are we?" Hobie arches an eyebrow.

Marina chews on her bottom lip, fuck. "Well... We're both busy saving people, and we live in different universes. We'd never work, and –"

She's cut off by the presence of Hobie's lips against hers. Marina could feel the cold metal of Hobie's piercings on her lips, and for a second – she just stood there. Eyes wide, and afraid to make another move. She fears that if she does kiss back, all her doubts will fade, and she'll give in.

Hobie pulls away, and stares at Marina. "All your reasons are dumb. You're tryna make everything harder for yourself, why?" He asks, grabbing her chin as he furrows her eyebrows. Marina's breath hitches as they both stare at each other, "I'm not." She answers quietly.

"You are. You think you're not worth loving, but that's not true, luv." Hobie says sincerely, and Marina's heart melts at the gentleness of his voice. She didn't see it at first, but maybe Hobie was right?

She pushed MJ away before, fearing to get her in danger – but this was Hobie. They were both Spiderpeople, people needed them, looked up to the both of them as heroes. And, despite all their differences – they were the two missing pieces of a puzzle. With the both of them placed together, the puzzle would be complete.

"I'm sorry."

Tears flooded Marina's eyes, as she quickly tried to wipe her tears away. Hobie chuckled softly, and held Marina's cheeks. "Never apologize to me, luv. You know you're special to me, don't ya?" He asks, and Marina hesitantly nods her head as tears flowed down her cheeks.

"Ion like seeing my girl cry." Hobie says, pulling Marina into a warm hug. Arms wrapped around her tightly, chin rested on top of her head as Marina hid her face in his chest. Marina hadn't felt like this in forever, she felt safe, in Hobie's arms.