[1.13] Reason

EARTH 5050 | Manhattan, New York
・┈・┈・┈・┈・

Marina didn't even have enough time to process what happened few minutes ago when police sirens blared outside her apartment. She cursed under her breath, pulling her mask on as she rushed outside the window. Poor girl can't catch a break.

"Yo! Is that Spindrift?!" A citizen exclaimed, pointing up at Marina who swung from pole to pole to follow the police.

"What? That's not what her suit looks like!"

"Maybe she wanted to change?"

"Maybe it's someone else. Someone better?"

Marina arrived at the bank, multiple police cars surrounding it. Cops pointed their guns inside, yelling at the thieves to get out and surrender because they've got them surrounded now. As if that ever actually works, but alright.

Entering from the back, Marina was about to catch the thieves when she finds them fighting the one and only Captain Liberty, or Scout Rogers.

She quickly rushes in to help him, shooting webs at the thieves as their back hits the wall. "Hey!" One of them yells, trying to escape the webs that kept them on the wall. Scout gives her a look, before the two of them continue to fight the armed thieves.

One of them tries to shoot their gun, but Marina grabs their arm and twists it behind their back. The robber groans in pain, before he's webbed to the wall with his others friends.

Scout fights the last one, knocking her unconscious. Marina crosses her arms, and tilts her head. "Come to do my job for me?" She asks, and Scout breathes out a laugh. "You took too long." He replies, and Marina narrows her eyes at him through her mask.

"What's with the new suit?" Scout nods at her, and Marina glances down on herself. "You like it? Honestly, I thought it looked bad at first, plus it wasn't like I voluntarily wanted to change it —" Marina rambles off, and Scout stares at her with amusement.

"You're losing your cool, Spindrift." He smiles, and Marina immediately shuts up and clears her throat. "Yup. Okay — Well, I gotta go. The police thinks I'm a murderer, so... buhbye!" She waves at Scout before swinging away.

Scout watches her rush off, "I'll call you!" He says, and Marina laughs loudly. "I won't answer!"

"Who was that beautiful man?" Venom asks, and Marina's face scrunches up. "Beautiful? Seriously? You only saw half his face." She chuckles. "That's Captain Liberty, some super soldier. He's pretty cool, just a little... old-fashioned."

Marina Parker knew Scout Rogers, and vice-versa, but Captain Liberty never knew that the Spindrift he tends to flirt with during battles was actually his old schoolmate. They're both around the same age, and studied at the same highschool. Got hit or bit with something that changed their entire lives, and now they're going around saving people.

Spindrift wasn't as big time as Captain Liberty, however. She wasn't invited to some group with other superheroes, and didn't go around leaving the damn planet to save the universe. The Spiderverse was probably the coolest she could reach, and she never complained one bit into wanting to do something bigger.

"Is he why you left Hobie earlier?" Venom asks, and Marina furrows her eyebrows. "What? No! I panicked, and I don't know... I feel so bad for leaving Hobie, but the kiss — It felt so right at first, and then suddenly it felt like I was making a big mistake!" She speaks at a fast pace.

Marina finally arrives at her apartment, and she falls down on her couch. "Big mistake? How? I could feel your happiness when you kissed." Venom questions, and Marina lets out a distressed sigh.

"Look. Me and Hobie are from different universes. We both have responsibilities, and —"

Marina is cut off by the ringing of her phone. What the hell? Scout was actually calling her? "Pretty boy is calling!" Venom exclaims excitedly, and Marina stares at her phone for a second. "I told this dude that I wouldn't answer, so no." She sharply says, taking her eyes off her phone.

"ANSWER IT!" Venom yells, and Marina flinches at his loud voice booming in her head. "Oh my God! No! I don't know what he wants from me." She grumbles. "Well, duh! You'll never know if you don't answer. You are a stupid spider." Venom snaps at her, and Marina scoffs incredulously.

She stares at her phone for a few seconds, before letting out a defeated sigh and answering it. "Rogers... hey." Marina says lazily, and she could hear Scout's chuckle through the phone. "I told you I'd call." He replies, and Marina hums.

"The friendly neighborhood Spindrift's pretty busy, y'know?" She states. "With what? I don't hear any police sirens, or sense any commotions around at the moment." Scout answers, and Marina could already imagine the teasing look on the super soldier's face as he speaks.

"Mind getting straight to the point, Captain?" She leans back on her couch, and Scout answers. "I know you're not used to fighting the big deal enemies we do, but —" His words are cut off by Marina's laugh. "Trust me, we have our own fair share of dangerous enemies. I just don't exactly go around bragging about it."

On the other end of the line, Scout's eyes widen at Marina's words. He's never heard her ever speak to him in that way, but not like he's complaining anyways. It's just a bit out of character, is all. Maybe the new suit comes with a new personality?

"That's not what I meant..." Scout says softly, and continues to state his point. Marina, unfortunately, stopped paying attention to him the moment a portal opens in her living room.

Hobie fucking Brown steps out of the portal, hands placed in his pockets. He immediately sees Marina on the couch, phone held up to her ear. Marina's lips part, and she furrows her eyebrows at Hobie. "What are you doing here?" She asks.

Hobie approaches her, taking her phone from her and looking at the caller I.D. "Drift? What's happening?" Scout's worried voice echoes from the phone, and Hobie scoffs. "You left me there hangin' for this... Scout Rogers?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.

Marina quickly shakes her head. "What? No! Look, Hobie —"

"Aye, mate. Mari can't come to the phone right now, or ever again. See ya!" He beams at the phone with a sarcastic smile, before pressing the end button.

Marina stares at him in shock, before snatching her phone back. "Hobie! What the fuck are you doing?!" She panics.

"Are all Spiderpeople stupid?" Venom asks in Marina's head.

Hobie simply shrugs. "Ya left me in there, and I wanted to know what was up. Didn't know you had a revelation about some other guy while you were kissin' me." He stares into Marina's eyes, not a glint of amusement in his face.

Marina runs her hands through her face, and lets out a groan. "I didn't leave because of Scout! Do you even know what you did... He didn't know about my identity! You just revealed who I was to someone! Are you — Do you not use your brain at all, Brown?!" She yells angrily.

There's black veins running up Marina's neck as anger fuels inside her. Most likely from Venom, and Hobie's face immediately switches into a sorry look. "Luv... I didn't mean to."

Marina pushes Hobie away, with more strength that she intended to. Hobie's back hits the wall, and his body accidentally knocks a large pot of plant over. Marina gasps as she rushes to him. "Shit — I'm sorry! Hobie, I didn't mean to push you like that..."

Guilt washes over her, as she places her hands on Hobie's shoulders. "Nah." Hobie shakes his head, and holds Marina's hands.

"Look, can we talk?"