Chapter 2

After wearing my new uniform, I walked out of the quarters to the manager's counter.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked and he nodded briskly.

He kept a key on top of the counter then gave me a serious look. "I want you to clean room number 375. Make sure it looks spotless."

Sighing, I took the key and went to get my cleaning equipments. After that, I took the elevator to the third floor. It was so quiet and peaceful up there at night but who'd want their room to be cleaned at this time? With that thought, my feet minced towards the room which I had been asked to clean, and slowly opened it with the key.

It wasn't a normal room. Instead it looked like a guest suite which was especially prepared for someone. It consisted of three rooms, the main one was the living room. On the left side, there was a bedroom which consisted of a king-sized bed and a large glass window with other decorations. On the other side of the living room was a small kitchen.

The whole room was a source of amazement and it was going to take me an hour to clean it. I started off with cleaning the tables, then did the vacuum cleaning and after that I had to fix the bed.

The bedroom gave me a warm feeling which I had been longing since many months. It felt just like my old bedroom in Chicago where I'd be so comfortable. Just the thought of it tore my heart into pieces. My eyes were becoming watery and I sat on the warm bed to control my emotions.

I reverently rubbed my fingers along the silken mattress and then pressed my cheek to the cool, velvet pillows. The comforter was thick and irresistibly soft, like a billowing cloud. I toppled into it, relieved to rest my weary feet. Warmth and darkness enveloped me. I soon succumbed to the call of sleep.

~

I woke up to the sound of chirping birds. The sunlight peaked into the room through the white curtains and I had to twitch my eyes when the light touched my face. But I could feel something odd.

I had a blanket around me and I remember sleeping without it. My cleaning equipments were put into the corner of the room while I clearly remembered I had kept them in the living room. I stood up, tied my messy hair and rushed out of the room with my equipments. I knew I was in trouble.

As I slowly tiptoed out of the room, I felt something soft underneath my foot so I took a step back and looked down to find a man. A scream left my mouth before I covered it. My sound had woken up the man.

He sat up straight on the ground and we stared at each other. It took me some time to recognise him. He was same guy who I had bumped into yesterday. Emma called him Drew.

We were speechless, worried, anxious and quiet. The only contact we made was the eye contact. His blue eyes glared at my face as he opened his mouth to speak but then closed it as if he had nothing to say.

No word came out of my mouth either therefore I expeditiously walked out of the room and ran downstairs without even waiting for the elevator. My heart was racing for some queer reason. Perhaps I was afraid that the guy would complain about me and I would be fired. Then I'd have no where to go.

Fortunately, the manager wasn't at the counter so I hurried to my quarters where Emma was dressed in her uniform.

"Where were you the whole night? I've been worried to death!" Her voice clearly showed her concern for me. "We're supposed to look after each other, you know?"

"I was cleaning some rooms." I answered as I kept the equipments on their places and she sighed.

"How many rooms?" She asked.

"Many rooms. You don't have to worry about me." I bit my lip as I remembered the whole scenario.

Emma didn't bother me with more questions. Instead she brought me a cup of tea. We both enjoyed our tea and Emma told me a good news. The manager was finally hiring new housekeepers and we'd be able to help them.

"Can't wait to scold them. We'll be their seniors." She chuckled.

I kept the cup on the table. "We don't have to be too harsh towards them."

"Well at least we'll have more people to help us."

There was a mixed feeling inside of me. Should I tell her about the morning or should I let it be? I kept asking myself this question and my conclusion was not to tell her. She'd make a great deal out of it. If I had to lose my job, I'd have to find another one and I was ready for the consequences.