Chapter 7

"Drew is leaving." The manager told me as I was walking towards the elevator to clean another room with the rookies.

I was a bit shocked to hear that and I didn't want him to leave. The manager saw my expression and he sighed. "You are fond of him, aren't you?"

I told the housekeepers to go and wait for me while I talked to the manager. "I wasn't really fond of him. But I was used to working in his room. It made me happy when I cleaned his huge room."

The manager raised his eyebrows. "That's it? I really thought the two of you had feelings for each other. That is why I tried to separate you two."

I laughed at his remark but I slightly blushed. "Oh, he has a lover. Why would I ever run after a guy who is in a happy relationship?"

"The way you look at him is different. And when you hear his name-"

"Please, say no more. You are just trying to prove something that is completely false. I'd just like to call him one of my acquaintance but nothing more." I uttered my words very quickly and rushed towards the elevator.

The manager actually found it out. He was clever at observing people since he had a lot of experience at it. But the fact that Drew was leaving made me devastated and I decided to pay him a visit.

Therefore I went to the third floor and walked to the door of the room which I had been into so many times. My hand raised to knock the door but it opened before I even touched it.

Drew stood there with a faint smile playing on his lips. "Hi Arlene."

"Sir, are you leaving because of me?" I said in a slight squeaky voice as my throat began to become dry and it ached.

"No Arlene. Did you forget that I'm a wrestler? I can't stay in one city forever. I have to travel all the time." His blue eyes were tired and it seemed as if he was very stressed out.

"Where will you be heading now?" I asked as I looked down.

"Chicago." He sighed.

When I heard the him say Chicago, my heart raced and my eyes became watery but I held my tears back. I wish I could go with him.

"My family lives in Chicago." My lips quivered and I took a long breath to clear my voice. "I have a very bad past."

"Arlene, are you crying?" He came forward and held me by my shoulders. "Come in." He pulled me inside and shut the door.

He walked up to me slowly and pulled me closer to him wrapping his arms around me. His embrace was warm, and his big, strong arms seemed very protective when wrapped around my frail body.

"I don't know what it is." He began. "But it'll be alright. Just calm down and tell me everything."

He slowly pulled back and looked into my eyes which made me feel even more better.

"I was living a wonderful life in Chicago." I sighed grievously. "But one day I thought I could do better in life. I wanted to get a job, earn money, become rich, get some fame and have an amazing life. So I left my family and came to Los Angeles, only to find myself unsuccessful. I had no money, no job and then I found this hotel. They offered the job for housekeepers and I accepted it without a second thought."

He inched back a little and looked down, his expression clearly telling that he was thinking about something.

"I wish I could do something to help you." Drew walked towards the window with his arms folded across his chest. "But there isn't anything I can do."

"I understand." I sobbed and wiped my tears. "I've taken too much of you time."

I left his room, feeling completely hopeless and humiliated. I couldn't believe it that I told everything to Drew and how stupid was I to think that he would do something to help me.

_______________