Chapter 5

In the evening, the new housekeepers had arrived and the manager finally gave us some time off. Emma and I decided to go to a café near the hotel which was a very decent one but it was crowded with people.

Emma and I took our seats and went through the menu. I couldn't find anything nice so I closed it and examined the people around.

Some of them had come to take a break from their work like us, some of them came to spend some time with their loved ones and some were just there to eat.

Among the people, I spotted Drew, which seemed like a coincidence. He was sitting in the corner of the café with his girlfriend. I couldn't help but notice that dashing smile on his face when he talked to her. They were very happy together and they didn't even let go of each other's hand.

"Arlene, did you decide?" Emma knocked me back to my senses as she skimmed through the menu one last time.

"Yes, I'll have a cappuccino." I said with disinterest.

Emma gave the order and I couldn't stop staring at Drew who didn't even notice I was there.

"We surely needed this break." Emma opened her black luscious hair which were tied into a ponytail just few seconds before. "It feels so good to leave the hotel. Its like being locked up in a jail and finally getting released."

"Oh come on, it isn't that bad." I said in the most positive tone.

She chuckled. "Says the person who used to whine when she started working there."

"I've changed." My lips turned into a smile.

"Oh have you?" She kept her arms on the table and raised her eyebrow, she had a huge sinister smirk on her face. "Tell me, who is this mystery guy you visit everyday?"

My eyes opened wide and my throat felt dry. "What are you saying?"

"The manager has told me that you are assigned to clean that one guy's room everyday. Who is he?"

"What's wrong with cleaning his room? You clean rooms too, I mean it's our job right?" I tried so hard to dissolve this topic.

But I knew Emma. She'd never stop asking me questions until she got her answer. However this time she had some mercy on me and she stopped asking questions.

Instead we talked about what we'd do when we leave the hotel. She wanted to run her own saloon but I just wanted my old life back. I wanted to go to a college and become something better than this.

As we went on talking, I didn't realise that Drew and his girlfriend had left. Our coffees were served and we quickly grabbed them.

Emma was looking into her purse for money but the waiter smiled. "Ma'am, a guy just paid for you."

"What?" Emma and I said in a unison, we were extremely surprised. "Which guy?"

"He had long hair and he was sitting in that corner with a girl." The waiter pointed at the table in the corner of the café.

That was when my heart skipped a beat and my jaw dropped.

"Thank you for informing." Emma stood up. "Let's go Arlene."

Still in shock, I stood up and followed her. It was so surprising to know that Drew would actually do that. He noticed me, even if I thought he wouldn't look at me. Sipping our coffees, we walked back to the hotel.

"I wish I knew who that guy was." Emma sighed. "He might be our secret admirer. One day we might find him and thank him for what he did."

She was so eager to know about him meanwhile I was aware of who it was. When we entered the hotel, we were welcomed by new staff members and the new housekeepers. They were younger than me and Emma but they were jolly and were looking forward to work with us.

"Arlene, a moment please?" The manager pulled on a smile and I followed him to the counter. "I'm going to assign that girl, Edna to clean Drew's room everyday so that you can help the others. She was a senior housekeeper in the hotel across the street so she's more experienced."

My smile faded and my expression turned into a grim one. My heart was slowly breaking apart but I didn't realise it.

"Okay. Thank you for informing." I turned around and saw Emma laughing with the new housekeepers.

She had made herself acquainted with them easily. Just then Drew entered the hotel. He looked at me with disinterest and continued walking towards the elevator. He could care less about the commotion around him.

I sprinted towards the elevator to catch up with him and I was lucky to get into it before the doors closed.

"Sir." I panted heavily before speaking. "Why did you pay for me at the café?"

Both of us were alone in the elevator which made the situation very awkward.

"I do whatever I want to." He put his hand around the back of his neck which was quite an attractive gesture.

"Thank you. But you really didn't have to do that. I'll pay you back as soon as I can."

"Arlene, why are you like this?" His sharp eyes stunned me on my place. I didn't move an inch. "Stop being so kind. You won't get anywhere with that attitude."

Suddenly he put his hand on my cheek and started stroking it. He moved forward, closing the gap between us. We were so close that I could feel his warm breath on my skin. I shut my eyes as I knew what would be next but after waiting for a few moments, I could hear his sinister chuckle. Therefore I opened my eyes.

"You wanted me to kiss you." He pulled back his hand, still laughing.

"No!" I shook my head which had turned bright red.

Drew stopped laughing and folded his arms across his chest. "You see? You couldn't even protect yourself. You could have fought for yourself but instead you let me-"

"I can protect myself, sir." My voice was a bit husky but it was full of embarrassment.

The elevator stopped and the door opened. Drew walked out but he turned around for one last time to smirk at me.

"I'll see you tomorrow." With that he walked towards his room.