Chapter 6

It was a very tough day for me and Emma. We had to instruct the rookies and they didn't quite follow our instructions so it was hard for us to explain them the rules.

"You guys literally don't understand! You have to replace the towels in the washroom, you have to replace the soap and you have to replace the shampoo." Emma was screaming her lungs out.

I gently touched her arm. "Calm down, don't be so mean towards them."

She sighed with frustration and ran out of the room.

"Let's have a break." I told the housekeepers and they nodded. I followed Emma but instead I ran into the manager who was consoling Edna.

Edna's eyes were red and they had were holding back the tears, she couldn't even talk properly. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Galloway scolded me." She let out her tears. "He says that only Arlene can clean his room and he won't allow anyone else to clean his room."

"What?" I muttered.

The manager scoffed. "What have you done?"

"Nothing, I swear." My voice was shaky because of the fear trapped inside of me.

"Go clean his room." The manager ordered in a very raging tone so I quickly grabbed the equipments that Edna was carrying.

I hastened to Drew's room and started knocking furiously on the door which opened in the next second.

I stammered in. "Why did you scold Edna?"

He face palmed with annoyance. "Because I made it very clear to the manager that only you have the permission to clean my room."

"That doesn't mean that you keep scolding the rookies!" I walked towards the kitchen.

Drew shut the door with a loud bang. "Arlene, don't tell me what to do."

I ignored his reply and started wiping the kitchen counters but my arm was grabbed by him.

"Stop ignoring me." He grunted

I protested in a serious tone. "Sir, I don't want to argue with you."

"Stop calling me sir. I have a proper name." His grip on my arm started to get tightened which hurt a lot.

"Let go off my arm." I whimpered. "What is up with you today?"

His blue eyes still had fire inside of them but he left my arm. Just then it occurred to me that he was drunk.

"Drew, have you been drinking?" I questioned with a very perplexed look on my face. This was the first ever time I called him by his name and it felt a little odd.

He laughed lightly and nodded his head. "Yes I have. What's wrong in a young Scotsman having some bottles of beer?"

"You are from Scotland?" I asked.

Drew slowly stepped closer to me. "Wasn't it quite obvious?" He brushed his warm fingers across my cheek and smiled. "I am from Ayrshire, Scotland."

I was completely frozen by his act. He didn't withdraw his fingers for the next few minutes while my hands were totally frozen. I couldn't do anything.

"Yesterday..." He slurred as his dreamy eyes stared at me in daze. "You wanted me to kiss you."

"No." My head shook but he held my chin between his thumb and his forefinger.

"You did." A playful smirk was formed on his face and without a warning, he pressed his lips on mine.

It felt like heaven. His soft thin lips came into contact with mine which let everything escape from my mind. It was a very short-lived peck but felt as if there were butterflies in my stomach, flying around looking for an escape.

He pulled back and turned around to leave as I stood there, amazed at what I would call my first kiss.

"Drew..." I quickly grabbed his shoulder. "I can't clean your room anymore."

He didn't reply. Instead he ignored me and walked towards his bedroom.

~

I didn't even complete cleaning his room because of fear. But fear of what? I couldn't understand myself. The flashback of that whole scenario kept coming into my mind as I went downstairs to the manager.

He was busy with cleaning his keys but upon seeing me, his expression turned grave. "Did he tell you why he scolded Edna?"

"No but I told him not to do it in future. I also told him that I can't clean his room anymore. It's out of my hands now." I gripped tightly onto the mop I was carrying.

The manager shrugged his shoulder and told me to go back to my room where I found Emma and two of the other rookies who had been annoying Emma before but now they were fond of her.

"Arlene! Meet these two youngsters. That's Jake and this is his twin, Stacy." Emma quickly introduced.

I waved my hand at the two of them and they did the same in return. "Good to meet you, Arlene." They said in a unison and it really did show that they were twins.

"Where are the other five housekeepers?" I asked, keeping the equipments in the wardrobe.

Jake smiled. "They are still working. Emma told them what to do."

The four of us chatted along and it was good to have new people in the hotel. I really enjoyed their company. However, I remained bothered by Drew's actions.