Chapter 20: Glass

The goddess and Dream looked at each other.

"I'll do it." Dream said, eyes now steeled and ready.

Kristin nodded in understanding. "𝙰𝚕𝚛𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝, 𝚊𝚜 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚘." She closed her eyes. "𝙽𝚘𝚠, 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚍𝚎𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙾𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍."

As she opened her arms and extended her fingers, a web of smoke rippled out from beneath her feet. They quickly covered the grass and then climbed upwards, forming a dark sphere around the two. Its surface shimmered like the ocean's tides beneath moonlight.

Dream was in awe, which left his mouth slightly agape. He stared at the terrain, which had changed so suddenly, and then wondered what was the extent of the power a god holds. They can do this, yet still needs my soul to stabilize the world. How ironic.

The goddess raised a hand in front of her, smoke trailing behind her fingers. A moment later, she as well as Dream rose into the air. After they stabilized, she gave a quick smile to the man before swiftly turning her hand in a circular motion while reciting a quiet incantation under her breath.

It was then that Dream realized his skin had begun to glow, and stared at his hands and arms as they shined like golden flames, growing ever-brighter and even a little bit transparent.

When his transformation slowed down, Kristin spoke again. "𝙽𝚘𝚠, 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚝𝚎. 𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚍𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚏𝚎𝚎𝚕?" She asked gently. Dream looked for words to string together and form a coherent response, which was, for the third time in his life, a little difficult.

"I...guess I feel okay? Maybe a little tingly at the tips." He gave an awkward smile.

The goddess laughed. "𝚆𝚎𝚕𝚕, 𝚊𝚕𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝙸 𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚜𝚙𝚘𝚛𝚝 𝚊 𝚜𝚘𝚞𝚕 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙾𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍, 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚖 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚜𝚢𝚖𝚙𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚜." She waved her hand once more and Dream felt his body being lightly tugged towards her. "𝙰𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚢?" Kristin asked as she reached her hand towards Dream.

Dream placed his hand on hers. "Yes." He said.

"𝙶𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝. 𝙰𝚕𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑, 𝚋𝚎𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚎 𝚐𝚘–𝚒𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠 𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎 𝚊 𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏𝚒𝚜𝚑–𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝙸 𝚊𝚜𝚔 𝚠𝚑𝚢 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚒𝚝?" She asked, half expecting the man to say that he'd rather keep the reason to himself.

However, contradictory to her expectation, he replied. 

"Well...it's kind of embarrassing to say this out loud. I- mhf, this is hard to admit..." Dream struggled with his answer. "I...just still have some lingering attachments to the SMP, that's all. And maybe towards some individuals too..." He whispered, which did not escape the goddess' ears. "I mean, it wouldn't be right for me to ruin their lives a second time, you know? And my life's over already anyways. Why not put it towards something I loved before? Or, I guess I should say love."

Kristin giggled at his flustered response. "𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍'𝚟𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏𝚒𝚜𝚑, 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏 𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚜. 𝙽𝚘 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚎𝚗𝚓𝚘𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎, 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚜 𝚙𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚎𝚏𝚞𝚕. 𝚆𝚑𝚢 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗'𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚘 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚒𝚌𝚎?"