Chapter 012- Hidden in Plain Sight

Another update for you guys!

Little collage of miss Camila

Happy Reading!

Chapter 012- Hidden in Plain Sight

Two weeks had already gone by since I started my job at Interior Design Consultant at Luxe Living Interiors working for Amelia. The workload was manageable, it has been years since I've worked in an office setting job. I was used to serving and being on my feet all day and socializing with guest. Having some real conversations and faking others and giving real smiles while also faking some just to make a good tip. I was trying my best to get accustomed to sitting down in an office and answering phone calls and sending emails out. But the rest of the staff was very welcoming, especially Amelia. She knew I had a child and she told me about the building child care program that is available for all staff members in the building. It was a small deduction fee from my check but it was worth it, as I did not have to go through the hassle of finding someone to take care of Xavi, and pay a large weekly or monthly fee.

Although I did not see Juan and his posse and I had yet to come in contact with them as well as Stephen, my body was far from being at ease. I found myself looking over my shoulder whenever I was out of the apartment, even at work. I was scared, and I was not afraid to admit it to myself. I had yet to tell my brothers that I was on the run. Maybe if I told them they will be able to help us hide and protect us some more. I looked down at my calendar and checked off another name from the list, eight down twelve more contacts to go. It was fun making these calls and helping these clients design their properties to their likings, and a girl like me can only image if it was me on the other side designing my dream house not caring about how much the cost was since I had it like that.

It was now 12:30 P.M and I made my way to the lunch room and grabbed some of the food that was ordered for the team. It was already served in to go boxes so I just grabbed one and two oranges and two bottles of water and made my way down to the fifth floor, just five floors below mine to go see Xavi and eat lunch with him. Because I was working in the same building, I tried to always go down and make sure Xavi was safe from any danger. But everyday I came down I was greeted by the friendly staff and my overly happy little boy. I smiled at the staff and Xavi and I went to one of the tables closer to the windows that looked over the town. "Hi mami," Xavi said giving me a hug after I set the food down for us. "Hi my sweet boy, how are you doing?" I asked him grabbing one of the plastic plates and spoons to serve him his share. "Mami all the kids here are so nice, today we did some writing practice in the morning and we then watched movies," he said smiling before taking in a bite of the chicken lo mein and chicken. We chit chatted among ourselves until my break was over and I had to go back to work. Time passed by rather quickly with incoming calls from potential clients and sending out emails with interior design receipts and payment options. 4 o'clock soon came and I grabbed all my personal belongings and said my goodbyes before going back down to the fifth floor to pick up Xavi.

Once I reached the classroom I said hello to the teachers and made my way to Xavi to help him pack up his small book bag I packed him. Xavi ran to the teachers and gave them a hug and they gladly accepted Something that always scared me a little bit was that Xavi always seemed to get too attach way too quickly to those he spends very little time with. I don't want him to get attach and we have to pick up and leave everything behind again. I don't want him having any attachment issues because of my problems that I've brought onto him.

Hours have passed back in Jose's apartment. I was wrapped up in my blanket watching the 8 o'clock news, while Xavi was already dozing off to sleep. I tried to limit the amount of times we left the room to avoid bothering Jose. I also feared how our desperately needed conversation will go. I was prolonging it the most I could. The news represented all the news in the city ranging from the weather forecast, to the crimes that took place, local protestors. I was really watching the news to see if my face was on the news. Was I a missing person? Was I wanted for stealing a car and running away? Or was I lucky enough to get away without a scratch and without a trace? I gave Xavi a kiss on his forehead and brought the comforter up to his neck as it gets really cold at night. I made my way to the kitchen for a late night snack.