Athena Grey Pt.2

Athena regained consciousness. She could hear birds chirping as she opened her eyes. From her position, all she could see was a dense forest. Suddenly, she noticed something stinging on her face. Slowly, Athena lifted her hand to her face and pulled her hand away to see her hand was covered in blood. Athena noticed she was still strapped into her seat, she managed to unfasten her seat belt and was now able to get a better look at her surroundings. She realised she was alone. Parts of the plane were scattered around her, but there was no one in sight. She acknowledged that she needed to get the bleeding cut on her face bandaged. So, Athena got up slowly, and a sharp pain came from her right ankle, causing her to fall back onto the seat. Athena took a deep breath and stood up, making sure to put most of the pressure onto her left leg. Athena found a suitcase a few feet from her. She opened the suitcase and took a T-shirt and held it to her cuts. Athena grabbed what she could to make an ankle brace. Once it was secure, Athena got up to look for her bag as it had a first aid kit in it.

She found it hanging in a tree close to her seat. Slowly and carefully, Athena climbed up the tree to grab her bag. She sat on a stable branch to look inside her bag. She found some dressings, she took them out and as carefully as she could she placed them onto her cuts after she cleaned the wounds. Athena placed everything back into her bag before putting it on. Athena climbed as high into the tree as she could. All Athena could see was dense forest and no sign of the rest of the plane, and with it, any sign of her mother and the others.

"MOM! MOM! MOMMY! DEREK! MOM! CRISTINA! LEXI MARK! MOM! MOM! ARIZONA! MOM! DEREK!" Athena screamed, her screams echoing throughout the forest. Unfortunately, her screams didn't reach them.

Athena burst into tears. She was alone. She didn't know where her family was. She didn't know if they were alive. They could be anywhere. She was alone and in pain.

Athena cried for what felt like forever to her, but it was an hour. She managed to calm down so she could climb down the tree while trying to put the least amount of pressure on her right ankle as she could. Once she was safely on the ground, Athena looked through the wreckage, e.g., suitcases or bags, for food, water, or anything useful. She did find a few bottles of water, a sewing kit, toiletries, clothes, painkillers, and a pocket knife. Athena grabbed the painkiller and a bottle of water, sat down on her seat, and took two painkillers. Athena took the first aid kit from her bag and prepared some dressing. Athena, carefully, picked up a broken piece of a mirror so she could look at the cuts on her face. The dressings were soaked through blood.

*Athena's POV*

OMG! OMG! This is so bad!

"SHIT!!"

I need stitches! *laughs* It's good that Richard and Mark taught me how to do it. I looked around for anything to sterilise; all I could find was vodka. That'll do. I grabbed the sewing kit and grabbed some string and a needle. I set the mirror on a branch of a tree so I could look into the mirror. This is gonna hurt, but I have to do it. I grabbed a T-shirt and put it in my mouth. I took a deep breath and took a second to remember everything that Richard and Mark taught me before using the vodka to sterilise the needle and the cuts before stitching up the cuts on my face. Biting down hard on the cloth as I tried my hardest to keep calm. When I finished, I fainted. A few minutes later, I regained consciousness. I took a few minutes to look around the clearing. I decided to see if I could find the others. Maybe I couldn't see them because the trees were covering them. I opened one of the suitcases and took out a few T-shirts. I used the knife to rip ribbons out of the T-shirt. I put the ribbons into my bag. I put everything essential into my bag and started to walk through the forest. For every couple of trees, I would try a ribbon around it so I would be able to make my way back to the wreckage.

"MOM! MOM! DEREK! MOM!" I continued to shout as I continued to walk until I came across a large river. I screamed in frustration and fear. I used my last ribbon on a tree next to the river before making my way back to the wreckage. On the way back, I found my pink duffle bag near.

I got back to the wreckage and started to grab everything I would need to build a fire. In my bag, I had a flint and steal that my dad gave me for emergencies. I grabbed that as well. I cleared an area and used a stone to dig a small hole for a fire pit. I filled it with paper from a notebook and covered it with sticks. In one of the bags, I found Vaseline and I found cotton balls in another. I used them as a fire starter. Using the flint and steal, it lights the cotton balls on fire. After a few tries, I managed to start the fire. I am so glad my dad liked bushcraft and that he likes to teach me it whenever he has time off. I collected more wood for the fire, making sure I had lots for when the fire died down. Once that was sorted, I sat down in my seat. I took another painkiller before I got up to make a bed. I was able to make the seat lie flattish. I went into my duffle bag and pulled out my throw blanket. I put on the fluffy thermal leggings, socks, and hoodie on top of my clothes that I had packed in my duffle bag. I put the splint back on. I put my jacket back on before I got some of the clothes to make a pillow. I used jackets like blankets under my throw blanket. I fell asleep to the crackling of the fire, exhausted from the fear and pain.