HOW TO SURVIVE A HIPPO ATTACK!!!⚠️

Prevention: Stay away from African Latin American rivers.

(1) Stay away from where they live.

(2) Stay away from the Zambezi River. There are 6 130 hippos on the river as far as 2002. ( Or as I call them, oversized pugs with anger issues. )

(3) Avoid encountering a hippo on land by sticking to wide open areas. Walk in spots where you could see a hippo far off before approaching it.

(4) The best way to avoid a hippo attack is to stay out of known hippo territory. Before going out on the water, ask local guides for advice. Find out what areas have had a lot of hippo sightings recently. While you're out on the water, give hippos plenty of space. If you spot one, don't get close. If the hippo starts to yawn, that means it's agitated. You should put more distance between you and these territorial creatures.

(5) Another way to prevent a hippo attack is by making some noise. Let the hippos know you're around. Hippos don't see people as prey; if they don't feel threatened, they don't have any reason to attack you. To avoid scaring hippos and triggering an attack, make a little noise with your paddle. Try beating the side of your boat or hitting the water's surface a few times. The noise will let submerged hippos know you're passing through so they can avoid you.

(6) Avoid encountering a hippo on land by sticking to wide open areas. Walk in spots where you could see a hippo far off before approaching it. This also gives other wildlife a chance to spot and avoid you. Hippos are only aggressive if you're close to their territory. They don't see you as a threat if you're far away.

(7) Stay away from vegetation along waterways. Hippos and other large animals use this vegetation as cover. The chances of running into a hippo, crocodile, or big cat are good around vegetation, so steer clear.

(8) Finally, keep your eyes open for signs of hippo activity. Hippos like using feces to mark their food sources. Look for droppings, and never set up camp near a dung trail. You should also avoid setting up camp near any known animal trails.

(9) To escape a charging hippo on land, climb a tree. If there isn't a tree, run in a zig-zag line, and don't look back. Keep running until you find shelter. And get to high ground if there's no shelter nearby. You can't outrun a hippo, but you must get out of their space. If the hippo gets ahold of you, the odds of surviving are slim. That's why the best thing you can do is get as far away as possible. So, when a hippo charges you, don't stop moving until you're somewhere safe.

(10) You're standing by a river when a hippo starts running toward you. Is this to attack? Not likely. When hippos charge toward a water source, chances are the hippo wants to get in the water. You must vacay the area as fast as possible and clear the path. Hippos spend most of their lives in the water. If you stay out of the way, the hippo can flee to the water without perceiving you as a threat. But if you freeze up, the hippo might run right over you. So act fast! Always jump out of the way of a hippo running toward the water. This is no time to play dead.

(11) Don't go canoeing. If the hippo sees the canoe as a threat it will attack drown you and eat you.

(12) If a hippo attacks, flee. If the hippo catches you, fight back! Make them as uncomfortable as possible. Hopefully, they'll give up their attack and spit you out. But until that happens, don't back down. Use your boat paddles as a weapon. Hit the hippo's eyes with the paddle, shove the paddle, stabbing it into their mouth. If you don't have a weapon, use your fists. Punch their eyes, hit their snout, and put up a fight. A hippos bite is capable of snapping a crocodile in two. If your arms are in the, get them out of there right away! If you can't get your arms out of the strong jaws, use your fingers to wreak havoc from the inside. Grab the back of their throat, stab, and claw, and do whatever you must do. If you can't get away, keep fighting and never give up. Your best bet is for the hippo to stop wanting to attack because you're putting up such a fuss. If a hippo is attacking your friend, throw things at it. Rocks, sticks, hurl anything you have at the hippo, and don't stop.

Habit: Only in a few places.

(1) African rivers.

(2) Latin American rivers.

(3) The Nile River.

Signs and symptoms:

(1) Water moveing towards you. 

(2) Yawning. A yawning hippo isn't a good thing. Yawning is a sign of aggression and them telling you you are too close. 

First aid: There really isn't any.

(1) If you live you will be bleeding out and maybe missing a limb. Apply pressure to the wound you will most likely have to use a tourniquet to stop the bleeding.

(2) Cling Film keeps air out so it retains moisture making it good for burns and even other types of injuries (such as exposed bones). Keeping air out also reduces the risk of an infection. Cling Film is very clean (after the first 'wrap' has been removed from the roll) which means it won't risk contributing to making the wound dirtier. Cling Film is malleable so unlike other bandages and dressings it can be shaped to fit where you want it. ( Paul Templer was a safari worker and was giving a tore of the Zambezi river when a hippo knocked over one of his friend's canoe he tried to help his friends but the hippo knocked him into the water and attacked him three times when one of his friends helped him to land his other friend had drowned he had to use cling film to stop some of the bleeding. ) You can learn more about this and other survival stories on the National Geographic Something Bite Me TV show.

Don'ts: Just... Just don't.

(1) Provoke a hippo. This is just downright dumb and a death sentence.

(2) Play dead. If a hippo attacks you, don't play dead. The more of a fight you put up, the better your chances of survival. Certain animal attacks warrant playing dead. For instance, when dealing with a, there's a right time to assume the fetal position. However, this is never the case for a hippo. You have to make the hippo want to release you; fighting is the only way to do that.

Fun fact: Hippos are the third largest mammals on Earth. The first being your mom. ( That was a joke don't get mad. )

Fun fact: Hippos are strong swimmers.

Fun fact: They produce their own sunblock.