XLV.

Kiyah
"What type of smoke screen is this?"

"Jade?!"

I stare at her while she's fanning in front of herself.

"All this smoke."

"What smoke?"

Her eyes look wild and unfocused. I usher her to the healers and they begin to heal her. A few of the werewolves are in a state of confusion.

'Dad it's a psych attack.'

'Attention packs put your guards up in your mind. This went from a physical attack to a mental attack.'

A few people drop down onto their knees crying in agony. The cries and whimpers are gradually becoming too much to handle. Sweat begins to bead on my forehead and the last thing I need is that salty liquid getting in my eye. I wipe the back of my hand across it and notice how my limbs are throbbing while tightening. There is no possible way I should feel like this in the middle of battle. I grit my teeth with every intention of pushing through. I look toward Jade and she is still being treated. I look ahead and see my mom by the tree line.

"Mom?" I ask before my eyes brim with tears.

Logically speaking there is no possible way that it could be her. I have seen weirder instances prior to this. What if my mind is playing tricks on me, but what if it's truly her? Could I live with my mom trying to see me and I rejected her?

'Kiyah where are you going?'

'I'm going to check something out.'

'Kiyah come back now!'

I shut him out of my mind link and make it half way before my grandma is by my side.

"Kiki sleep." My body involuntarily slums. When I wake up I'm in the med bay at the pack house.

"I saw mom and she looked like she had something to tell me."

"Kiyah there was no one there. Your father would've picked up on her scent if she was truly there."

"What if she blocked her scent so he wouldn't?" I feel tears prickle at the back of my and my nose threatens to sniffle.

Grandma looks down at me and collects her thoughts before speaking again.

"You are sleep deprived mixed with exhaustion from and that would explain why you hallucinated."

"I'm telling you what I saw was real. I was only a few meters from physically touching her."

"Get some rest." Grandma says before leaving me alone.

Blanche
"I told you this is why I didn't want my daughter fighting in this war. She isn't ready."

"Zayne!"

"If I had her from since was a pup she would be unstoppable."

"Kiarah chose me to take care of them."

"Obviously her judgement was wrong. You had them for years and taught them what?"

"She told me to protect them and I did."

"Withholding information isn't protect it almost ensures eminent death."

"Excuse me they didn't come with instructions. I've done the best that I could with what I had. Squabbling nor the blame game is going to solve this. Discrediting your daughter's abilities are not going to help us either."

Zayne pins me with his alpha stares and I pin him my disapproving mother look.

"You are right. Calvin guard this door no one comes in or out of this room without my permission."

"Yes sir."

"Zayne."

"Blanche come into my office."

He takes long strides and I follow behind him. When we reach his office he closes the door behind us.

"Please have a seat."

I sit down in one of the chairs across from him.

"What do you propose we do?"

"We do the best we can and try to protect the girls as we go."

"No we need something solid."

"With these things there isn't a solid way to go you just roll with the punches."

Jade
'Jade.'

'Kiyah?'

'Yeah where are you?'

'In a room with monitors looks like a doctors office.'

'Is there a guard outside your door?'

'Yes.'

'Is Ace with you?'

'He is.'

'Alright we're going to blink into the woods so we can talk. Bring Ace with you.'

I blink and Kiyah is beside me.

"We've been fighting this whole thing wrong. This battle isn't between everyone and them it's just us against her. We are more than capable to take her down."

"Ki can I call you that? Anyways have you bumped your noggin since the last time I've seen you?! Think clearly."

"I am every time Jade and I have fought somehow we are separated. If we work together instead if separately we will win. I'm ready for all of this to be over."

"So am I."

Grandma appears behind us and looks at us.

"Grandma."

She holds her hand up.

"No need to explain. Kiyah is right. Working together is the only shot you have at survival."

Our dads come out of the shadows and join in.

"We will be here with you every step of the way." Our dads say in unison. Both me and my sister plaster a grin on our face.

"Are you sure you girls don't need a bit more rest?" Grandma asks.

"No the sooner this is over we all can rest." Kiyah says and I nod in agreement with her.

Grandma gives us a curt nod before we walk off.

"So what's the move?" I ask before falling into step with Kiyah.

"This. Dark one we're right where you want us! No more tricks or games." Kiyah bellows out.

"Kiyah is that who I think they are?"

I freeze in place and Kiyah follows my gaze.

"Jade are you seeing what I am seeing?"

"Why do they look pale?"

Before another word can escape my lips both of us are rushing towards them. I cautiously touch my mother's cheek and it's cool to the touch. I search her eyes for something but it feels empty.

"Jade."

"How is this possible?"

"A mother always finds her way back to her child."

She holds out her arms.