CHAPTER #013. PLENTY OF TIME TO STUDY!

Just because Takano Hajime claimed he didn't like violence, didn't mean that he wasn't capable of it. The brown haired male leaned toward the left to avoid the pointed blade being jabbed at him, reaching up to grab the other male by the wrist. His eyes narrowed, squeezing tight on the limb, and brought his other hand curled in a fist to punch at the elbow joint. A grunt of pain followed by the clattering of the switchknife to the ground had Hajime pulling the other male toward him. He brought his knee up toward their gut, putting all the force he could in it, and watched with satisfaction as the male crumpled onto his knees.

"You–" The student with the shaved head sneered, looking up and clutching his stomach. There was a faint red spot on his forehead. Hajime grabbed the male by his head and pulled it down toward his knee, wincing at the dull throb as his knee cap took the blunt collision. The other male went silent and slumped to the ground. Sighing, Hajime cradled the side of his head with a grimace. The confrontation did nothing to help his growing headache. At the odd silence that encompassed the alleyway, Hajime looked up in suspicion.

A few feet ahead, Akabane stood over the other remaining student, holding onto the slab of wood as he peered down and poked the knocked out student with the tip of his shoe. "Man~ He's out for the count." Akabane commented with a hum, lifting his eyes to meet Hajime with a playful stare. The redhead scanned the similar scene in front of him and both eyebrows in surprise, tilting his head.

Hajime raised a hand to interrupt his companion. "Let's not."

They needed to leave before someone caught sight of them surrounded by the aftermath of their actions. Hajime glanced around and bent to grab the student at his feet by the ankle, dragging him to the nearest knocked out student with a huff. Within the cramped space of the alleyway, three unconscious students dressed in a uniform belonging to a nearby school lay sprawled in a human dogpile. No one noticed the two students that slipped out of the alley and onto the street. Hajime combed his hair backward with his hand and side-glanced his redhead companion.

"You don't seem like the type to stay near this area after class." Hajime said and thumbed at his cheek, pulling his hand back to note the hint of blood. The switchblade probably nicked him without him realizing it. Luckily, it didn't feel like anything a bandaid couldn't fix.

Akabane hummed, "Just felt like it, I guess. This area is full of fishes around this season."

Hajime genuinely didn't expect to see his classmate given that they were still near Kunugigaoka and from what he knew, Akabane had to take a train to head home. He turned to stare in confusion at the mention of fishes and pursed his lips. For some reason, Hajime had a hunch he would regret asking. "What 'fishes' are you talking about? You mentioned it earlier too."

The redhead had a sudden mischievous smile donning his lips, goldish eyes sparkling with amusement. "Maybe you should come along next time and find out."

That invitation sounded like it would involve nothing but trouble. Hajime clicked his tongue, headache rearing at the action, "No thanks." The brown haired male hiked up his school bag and winced at the soreness of his limbs. Thankfully, nothing had been stolen during the altercation in the alleyway. It was all due to his unexpected help.

Akabane laughed at his response, then peered at him curiously. It was unnerving to have the redhead's attention on him. Hajime tried to remain casual as he glanced over at the other male, noting that Akabane didn't seem injured from the fight. If one could call it that, Hajime mused. The male had defended himself well and appeared loose-limbed from the loss of adrenaline, but otherwise acted as if nothing had happened.