CHAPTER #016. TIME FOR A SCHOOL TRIP: PART TWO!

Not many people were able to witness snippets of the personal life Takano Hajime lived outside of school. He was fastidious at only sharing common details about his family and personal interests, keeping the conversation superficial and light whenever someone steered toward that particular topic. It was hard to pry answers out of the kind and charismatic male when he wore that evasive closed-eye smile like a shield and weapon in one.

Fuwa Yuzuki knew that she had accidentally stumbled upon something when faced with the startled expression on her brown haired classmate. The two stared at each other before Takano slipped into a gentle smile and tipped his head, "Good morning, Fuwa-san. I didn't expect to see you here."

"A– ah! Good morning to you, too. Takano-san." Fuwa stumbled into a bow, face burning as she realized her initial reaction to his presence might have been exaggerated. It wasn't everyday one of the most popular boys in school offered to walk together to the station. Especially when they happened to be the epitome of mysteries and the current hot topic of the school.

"Shall we get going then?" Takano questioned.

Fuwa nodded, and after bidding her mother farwell, the two third year students set off to the train station. Silence encompassed the air between them for the majority of the walk as Fuwa still hadn't gotten over the fact that Takano Hajime was walking beside her, alone! She couldn't help but take a peek, eyeing the brown haired male as discreetly as she could.

He was, objectively, handsome. Takano didn't gain the moniker of a prince for nothing, but seeing it up close was quite a different experience. Light brown locks of soft hair that fell neatly downward, wisping in front of the unique shade of reddish brown droopy eyes that Fuwa knew her classmates fawned over. His features were a contrast of sharp edges and gentle slopes that resulted in an appealing facial structure.

Beyond that though, her investigative senses were tingling.

Fuwa noticed the shadows underneath his eyes, like the male had trouble sleeping. His movements were sluggish, Takano walking at a slower than normal pace that Fuwa wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't been keeping an eye on him since his transfer to their class. Takano walked in calm and confident strides with his legs eating up the floor. He always seemed put-together. Unlike now.

"I didn't know you have a sister, Takano-san." Fuwa began, "She looks just like you! Like a miniature girl-version."

Takano smiled, closed-eyed and tender, "Not many people have seen us together so most don't really make the connection."

She nodded in understanding. Most didn't know that Fuwa had a younger sister either since there weren't many opportunities for the siblings to meet in school. One was in the main building and the other studied up on the mountain, after all. "I get it. She's really cute though!" Fuwa blinked as a thought crossed her mind. "Do you want me to keep it a secret? I mean, I just thought that since–" You're a very private person. Fuwa wanted to say.

Takano tilted his head at the cutoff, but nodded in response. "If you don't mind, Fuwa-san. The less people who know the better. I want Miho-chan to have a comfortable school life and that might be difficult if students find out I'm her older brother. Especially seeing as I'm. . ." The brown haired male trailed off, looking for the words that would adequately describe him and his situation. Fuwa had a few in mind, but kept her mouth shut. " – in a complicated position." Takano finished.

Fuwa nodded, a supportive smile gracing her lips. "No problem, Takano-san! You won't hear a word from me."

"Thank you." He sighed in relief. Takano looked marginally more relaxed, shoulders lowering as he smiled at her. Fuwa considered that an accomplishment. "So, I heard you like to read comics."