Ch 4

I was helping Mum set the table for dinner when I heard the front door open and then close softly moments after. I set the last plate and cutlery down, smiling when I saw my tired-looking father lumbering down the hallway.

"Welcome home Dad!" I hollered, quickly shuffling towards him and wrapping my arms around his middle tightly, deeply breathing in the scents that clung to his worn shirt, not caring if some of the dirt on it transferred onto me. 

I don't know why but I loved the smells that clung to him after work, it was part of his scent to me, since I could walk I'd always run up to him after he got home from work and hug him, he always smelt the same. From the wood shavings, chemicals, petrol, and so many other things depending on what he'd been working on that day.

"Hey Kiddo." he sighed and wrapped his arms around me, the scruff on his chin scratching against my face as he leaned down to press a wet kiss to my cheek.

I grinned up at him and gave him a tight squeeze, feeling content and safe in his arms. If I ever had a happy place it would be here, Mum's hugs were okay but Dad's couldn't be topped.

"Fun day at work?" I asked him as I pulled away, pouting when he ruffled my hair but secretly loving the feel of his calloused hands running through my hair.

He hummed, and I followed him as he walked into the kitchen to wash his hands, like every day. When he was done drying his hands he greeted my mother with a chaise kiss on the lips and a 'hello dear', like always.

"I've been hearing an interesting rumour," he commented and no one could miss the ear-splitting grin my mum was sporting at the news.

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the doorframe with crossed arms. "Mum set me up with an alpha," I grumbled, only half put out about it, not that I was going to let them know that.

"Oh!" my dad blinked his wide eyes rapidly, whoops, guess that's not the gossip that was going around, but then...

I groaned loudly, tipping my head back to stare at the ceiling, leaning heavily on the doorframe. "It's about Jacob isn't it?" I gathered.

"Yeah..." he sighed and slowly shook his head. "He went storming to his parents in such a rage he went into rut right on the spot, I'm guessing you had something to do with that Miko?" he lifted a brow and held my gaze with his light hazel eyes.

"Peter backed out as Jacobs's season partner, so he came here, I told him no, repeatedly..." he raised his brow even further, waiting for the rest of it. "... and I may of... insinuated..." I trailed off.

"Insinuated what?"

I exhaled heavily. "That he was quite lacklustre in the bedroom and packing light." I reluctantly finished.

He tried to but he couldn't keep a smile from curling up the corners of his lips and he shook his head in disbelief, a breathy chuckle leaving him. "You truly are something else, Miko."

"You've got to meet Hamish Josiah, he's so sweet." my mother wistfully sighed.

"Who?"

Mum playfully hit him with a kitchen towel. "The alpha I managed to convince Miko to enter a partner agreement with silly."

"And how did you manage that?" he questioned her.

"She used Mrs Thompson against me," I whined.

"Hamish is Adam's nephew, and has moved to this pack, his parents, unfortunately, passed away so the Thompsons took him in." Mum explained.

My father's features softened at my mother's words, his kind eyes full of sympathy. He was a gentle and soft-spoken man, something I'd always loved about him. He carried this calmness around with him that always put me at ease, he was more of a lover than a fighter, but when he had to he fought with the best of them.