Ch 5

I was still lying in bed bleary-eyed the next morning when I heard the loud knocking at the front door, whomever it was just kept on knocking and it got more frantic as each second went by without the door being answered.

My bedroom window overlooked the front porch so with a groan I forced myself out of bed and pulled the heavy curtains aside, blinking against the sudden brightness until my vision cleared before looking down at the porch.

What the fuck were the pack Alpha and Luna doing at our door?

I glanced at the digital clock on my bedside.

It was barely seven in the morning, what the fuck?!

My sleep-addled brain then remembered what my father had said last night about Jacob, that he'd been so angry from visiting me that by the time he got to his house to tell his parents, he'd entered his rut, still without a season partner agreement.

Shit.

If Jacob's parents were here... so early... so frantic... no no no no no no-no-no-no... not fucking happening!

I didn't even bother getting dressed.

I ran out of my room, passed my drowsy father in the hallway on his way to answer the door and legged it down the stairs before bolting out the back door in the kitchen and running across the grass barefooted to the Thompson's house in nothing but an oversized Metallica shirt I'd stolen from my dad a few years ago and a pair of short-shorts I only wore to bed.

I didn't bother knocking, instead finding the badly painted garden ornament next to Julia's flowerbed and turning it upside down, the frog was hollow inside and I fished out the spare key, unlocking the door before putting the key back and gently placing the frog in his rightfully spot next to the pink begonias, briefly smiling down at it, remembering when I'd given it to Julia when I was five. My painting skills hadn't improved much since then but I certainly wouldn't have used so many colours.

Still a little breathless I slipped inside and quietly closed the door behind me.

I took in a deep breath and sagged in relief, hopefully by the time the pack Alpha and Luna found me I would have already made the season partner agreement official with Hamish, and therefore couldn't become Jacob's.

I stilled and listened, the house still quiet this early in the morning, the wooden floor cold against the soles of my feet but the scent of the Thompsons was familiar, Hamish's scent mingling in, his alpha pheromones already overpowering the Thompson's beta pheromones.

I sniffed the air, starting to follow his scent up the staircase and through the hallway on the second floor.

It wasn't difficult to locate Hamish's room, he might be shy but his pheromones certainly weren't, and the proximity to the season starting made my nose even more sensitive to an alpha's scent.

His room appeared to be at the very end of the hall and after listening for a moment to check I he was awake, the quiet and even breathing on the other side and occasional light snore telling me he wasn't.

I knocked on the door loud enough to wake him but not disturb the Thompson's a few doors down and waited, hearing him stir, the bed springs protesting as got up and then the sound of bare feet padding over the wooden floor and approaching the door.

The door slowly opened, Hamish's tall and wide frame filling the doorway, his back bent forward, pillow-mused hair hiding his eyes. A white t-shirt clung to his broad upper arms and shoulders, and some plaid pyjama bottoms that weren't quite long enough for his long legs.

His hidden eyes found me and he froze, a confused frown scrunching up his sleep-swollen lips.

"Morning Hamish." I smiled up at him, wondering how I was going to approach the subject of making our season partner agreement official and explain why I was at his bedroom door so early and still in my own pyjamas.