Ch 7

Would I have said yes yesterday if Jacob hadn't shown up? Was my initial feeling enough to seriously consider Hamish as a season partner? Without Jacob and my own problems, would I have made that decision on my own?

I heaved out a quiet sigh, one of my fingers curling around a strand of hair behind Hamish's ear I'd tucked behind it previously.

I wanted to be honest...

But at the same time, I didn't know the answer myself.

I couldn't know what that me would say, I couldn't know what would have happened if Jacob had never knocked at my door.

I knew how I felt now though.

I perched myself on one of Hamish's thighs, not wanting to be standing when he was sitting when I answered his question as honestly as I could, or looking down at him when I did.

He stiffened a little at my unexpected movement, our eyes meeting again, a lot more level now.

"Jacob's parents showing up this morning might have hurried me along but I'm in no way here against my will Hamish, you're not just a way to get out of being Jacob's season partner.

We might not know each other well yet but I do want to get to know you, Hamish. I've never felt this way with any other alpha I've met, no matter how persistent their advances or lavish their gifts I'd never wanted anything other than to be as far from them as I could get and away from the stench of their alpha pheromones. "

I leaned against his much larger frame, my head dipping to his neck to run my nose over the crook of his neck, breathing in his scent deeply.

I don't know what was different about his scent, he smelt like an alpha, it was as strong as other alpha's, it was just... different.

It was the same and yet...

Softer... calmer... sweeter...

It was like him I guess... his personality smoothed out the rough edges... toned down the overwhelming musk so I could finally appreciate the notes hidden beneath.

"Your approach has been so different, you don't force your alpha pheromones on me, you don't try and force yourself... I feel like I could have something with you... that we'd make good friends and possibly something even more...

What I mean to say is that without Jacob and even without my own problems I would have eventually said yes." I finished in a whisper, hiding my blushing face under his chin.

Werewolves don't date like humans, we don't have destined mates or anything but if there's a spark we go for it. The season makes things difficult for us, and forces us to be intimate with a chosen someone, after those six weeks you get close, or at least that's what I've heard.

Pregnancy was also a common occurrence after a season, a rutting alpha wasn't very patient and wanted to breed their season partner, so putting on a condom was the last thing on their mind.

The risk of pregnancy was another thing I needed to talk to Hamish about, we needed a plan if that eventuality occurred.

Loud banging echoed from downstairs, knuckles rasping on the front door, guess my dad couldn't delay the Alpha and Luna any longer.

I pulled back and met Hamish's blue-grey eyes, he knew as much as I did that our time was up, either we made the agreement official now or I'd be forced to be Jacob's season partner out of duty to the pack or risk my families reputation, and Hamish would be alone during his first season.

I let out a surprised gasp when Hamish gently lifted me from his lap, easily standing with my added weight and turning, laying me down on his unmade bed. He climbed on and knelt over me, he looked nervous but determined, his pheromones curling around us as he leaned down.