Ch 11

After breakfast Hamish and I were shooed from the dining room by my mother, her and Julia taking the plates into the kitchen, already starting to gossip like women do as they began washing up.

I'd given up asking a long time ago, my mother wouldn't let me wash up, saying it was part of being a mother and a mate.

She made it sound much more exciting than it was, i suppose it was because she took pride in our home.

It wasn't particularly large or grand as houses go but it was ours and i could understand that.

I was an adult now and didn't require the same sort of parenting. A mother or fathers job was never over but when she wasn't working she often went about the house, doing laundry or cleaning, those small tasks gave her purpose, it was her way of telling us she cared.

I looked up at Hamish, i suppose i could see myself finding enjoyment and fulfillment doing what some considered menial tasks, simply folding his freshly washed clothes or making him dinner after he came back from a hard day at work.

It wasn't the big jestures, but the everyday things partners did for one another to keep their relationship blooming and alive. It was the little displays of affection and the thoughtfulness went into small acts such as asking about their day or ensuring they had a clean towel waiting and warmed when they got out of the shower.

I found myself blushing and i looked away, never had i ever had such sappy thoughts, longed for the humdrum of mated life.

I wanted to blame it on my omega brain, the nearing season did make me turn into a hormonal mess but that wasn't it and i knew it. I might be nesting at the moment but that made me coo at baby videos and long for affection, not have the sudden  desire to fold laundry.

I wasn't surprised when my dad approached, he'd kept the conversation light durning breakfast. Hamish had relaxed throughout the meal, realising he wouldn't be threatened within an inch of his life or forced to promise to treat me right.

My father had some decorum, not quite as much as my mother wanted but he wasn't completely hopeless.

Adam came over as well, smiling supportively at Hamish, well aware that this talk would be a serious one.

I wouldn't call Adam and my father conventional friends, their hobbies were far too different. My father watched human sport on the weekends or drove my mother nuts by tinkering with things around the house.

Adam, on the other hand prefered to read or garden in his free time.

They made it work for the sake of their mates, my father showing Adam how to maintain or repair his gardening equipment. Adam giving him pointers on how to keep the flowers my mother had brought alive.

Many times i'd come downstairs on a Sunday to see my dad watching football matches on the tv, Adam quietly reading beside him.

I liked that they could simply be in each others presence, both happy doing their own hobbies in the same space.

Adam didn't have many friends, but i could tell he enjoyed my father's company. He was a quiet man, content with his books or tending to his garden, he reminded me of Hamish in that regard.

My father had no shortage of friends he could watch sports with, those who would  cheer and shout at the tv, depending on how their preferred team was doing.

Sometimes my dad just wanted to chill and quietly watch a game, he could do that with Adam, without the peer pressure to drink beer and get all worked up over a glorified playground game.

Yeah, i said it.

Hamish stiffened a little, noticing the serious set to my father's features but he didn't cower and i smiled quietly with pride, gently slipping my hand into his.