Two

I heard angered voices from out in the hall, preceding the sound of glass crashing against a wall.

"How dare you?!" Mom screamed, her voice filled with betrayal and disappointment. "One night, Daniel. I trusted you for one night."

"Relax," his voice slurred. "I had a few drinks on my way back. Is dinner ready?"

"No!" She shouted. "Look at me and stop acting like you aren't listening to one word I'm saying."

"Get the fuck out of my way," he gritted out, shoving past her as he made his way towards my room. "Remi get out here!"

I heard rushed footsteps as I backed away from the door. "Leave her alone she's asleep!" My mother yelled through a hushed tone.

My eyes widened as I turned on my heels, throwing myself into the sheets just as my room door banged against the wall.

My body remained frozen under the blanket but internally, my heart was banging against my ribcage ferociously.

"Remi get up," he ordered before I felt the blankets being ripped off of my trembling skin.

"Daniel, get out!" Mom continued to try and push him away but I felt his presence hovering over me.

My arm was tightly gripped up in his grasp, causing me to shoot up in my bed. "Dad what's going-"

A sharp sting on my right cheek caused my words to falter. I stared at him in shock. Had he just slapped me?

"Daniel!" My mothers voice shouted, pulling me from my trance. "Get the fuck out now!" She grabbed at his arms, attempting to drag him away.

He didn't budge. Him and I remained in an intense stare until I felt my eyes water.

"How dare you," he bit out. "You had no right touching my shit, do you hear me? None!"

My lip quivered in fear. He had found out I had smashed the rest of his alcohol. I thought it would help.

I just had wanted it to stop.

"Remi wake up!"

"Please I didn't mean it," I whimpered.

I just wanted things to get better for him and Mom; for our family.

"Remi!"

Mom took a solid hold on his wrist, clawing at it at every attempt to make him leave. "Get out, Daniel." She warned one last time. "Or you'll never see me or the children again."

"I didn't mean it. I didn't mean it."

Cold water hitting my face pulled me out of my nightmare. I sat up, gasping loudly in both shock and the need for oxygen.

"Jesus, finally." A voice in the shadows of my room mumbled before two hands cupped my face. "What the fuck, Rem."

The small light amplified by the lamp on my nightstand allowed me to take in Christian's tired complexion. The circles under his eyes, the pale skin, the frantically searching eyes that swam with worry. He was wearing a black hoodie and grey sweatpants and I noticed the same black backpack from earlier draped over his shoulders.

"What the fuck," I rasped. "Why did you throw water at me?" I questioned him angrily, noticing the plastic water bottle now lying on my bed sheets. I yanked back my head as one of his hands made a move to slide to my forehead. I arched one of my eyebrows, "What are you even doing here, Chris?"