Three

We had talked with Mom for a while longer, struggling to keep her awake as she drifted in and out of a sleep-like state. We had all worked together to tear through the cookies I had brought, leaving only two left in the container.

Visiting hours were almost over and Imogen still hadn't arrived so Warren stepped out of the room for a moment to call her. I took his spot in the chair opposite Lucas, afraid that if I stood on my feet any longer I was going to collapse.

Mom had somewhat shut down after she heard about Dad; I could tell she was still blaming herself for his drinking again but there was nothing she could have done. Nobody knew what Dad was thinking last night or why he did what he did. We all figured it had to do with Mom's condition but we couldn't be certain.

My throat was beginning to feel sore and I could only hope I wasn't coming down with something. I hadn't been sleeping well lately and usually when I don't sleep, my body gets sick easily.

My eyes were growing heavy and I felt them begin to shut, tuning out the sound of everyone's voices.

I hadn't even noticed that I had fallen asleep until someone aggressively tapped my shoulder. I woke with a start, yanking my head up from where it had fallen asleep on the chair.

"Hm?" I hummed, peeling open my eyes to Imogen's face. Her dark brown eyes gleamed with excitement as the corner of her lips shifted upwards, showing off her perfectly whitened smile.

"Hey sleepyhead," she greeted, opening her arms to me. "How's my favorite little sister doing?"

I yawned, sleepily leaning forward and leaning into her warm embrace. I snuggled into her beige trench coat, inhaling her scent that always smelled like vanilla and cupcakes. "I'm your only sister" I exclaimed sleepily, somehow managing to clasp my hands around her back.

She released a breathy laugh. "Yeah but still."

"Alright Imogen c'mon we only have a few more minutes with Mom," Warren stated disapprovingly as he stood next to me, hands in his pockets.

"Oh leave her be," Mom commented from behind Imogen as she pulled away from me. "I'm just glad I finally have all of my children here."

Imogen nudged me over and I obliged much to my dismay, shifting over in the seat so she could squeeze in next to me. I grabbed the cookies from the adjacent table and slid them into her lap as she stirred up conversation with Mom. I leaned my cheek on my fist, listening to them talk about how her classes had been going in the short time we had left.

The Nurse had informed us earlier that Mom would be staying at the hospital for a few more nights for some more observation which personally I didn't understand. We could observe her perfectly fine from the house; she didn't need to stay in a building with strangers and sick people.

"–A's in all my classes." I rolled my eyes as I listened to Imogen brag about her amazing grades. I couldn't recall a time where she didn't get straight A's.

I envied my sister in a lot of ways. The way she carried herself, the way she could make herself look beautiful, her style, her intelligence, her charm...everything just seemed perfect with her. I got lost in staring at her and the makeup she had caked on this morning that I didn't even realize we were saying our goodbyes so soon.

When the Nurse came in to tell us that visiting hours were over, everyone took their turn hugging and kissing our mother goodbye. I let everyone go before I did. I shuffled over to the edge of her bed, lifting the corner of my lip into a slight smile as I looked down at her. She plastered a big smile on her face as she reached out her hands to me, pulling me into her.