Ten

I wanted to open my eyes but only one of them followed my command, the other remaining clamped shut. My hand instinctively came up to touch it but I cursed upon contact, feeling the immense pain from the bruising.

I barely managed to open it, somewhat adjusting to the dimly lit room. The pitter-patter of rain from outside tempted me to fall back asleep but I fought the urge. It wasn't until I shifted my head that I felt it; the pounding in my skull that felt like a horse was standing on my head. I groaned, my tongue darting out of my mouth to wet my excessively dry lips. I found myself throwing on a large hoodie over my sweatpants, a cold draft creating goosebumps over my flushed skin.

I dragged myself out of the room and down the hall, realizing how quiet it had been this morning. Too quiet.

As I approached the threshold of the kitchen I heard familiar voices. They were speaking in hushed tones but I still managed to decipher who was there. I pulled my hood up over my head, hoping to be able to shield my face just to give me enough time to grab my water and head back to my room.

I rounded the corner, revealing my presence, the voices that belonged to my two oldest brothers coming to a sharp halt.

I felt two pairs of eyes watching my every move but I ignored them, lethargically reaching for a tall glass.

"You're up early," Warren's deep voice startled me and I nearly fumbled my glass. My heavy head lifted to shoot him a look. He knew what he was doing by being loud – more loud than Warren usually was that is. I had easily assumed Lucas told him all about what happened last night, saving me from having to do the same.

How considerate.

I found the red lettering on the microwave that read 7:32 a.m. I was unfazed by the ungodly hour though, my body simply fulfilling its sudden need for water.

"Hmm," I muttered sleepily. I kept my gaze downcast, purposely avoiding the scrutinization from both of them. I'm sure I was a sight but I had been too scared to so much as glance at myself in my bedroom mirror earlier. The thought of my bruised countenance intimidated me.

I downed the glass of water as if I couldn't drink it fast enough. The silence in the room was deafening and I grew more tense with each passing moment. Lowering the cup, I matched Lucas's dark eyes over the brim of his coffee mug.

"How are you feeling?" He spoke up finally.

"Uhm - where's the Aspirin?" I answered his question indirectly, unwilling to give him any satisfaction about my 'wrongful' actions last night.

Warren released a breathy laugh. "I'm gonna go with bad," he answered Lucas for me. A moment passed before he hooked his finger under the front of my hoodie, tugging me closer to him. He tilted my chin up, releasing a low whistling sound. "The fuck happened anyway?"

"I fought Amanda Sterling," I stated emotionlessly once he lifted his finger away.

My gaze averted to Lucas who watched the two of us impassively. "Do we have any?" I repeated myself, remaining focused. I tried to overlook the fact that he was wearing a navy blue button up, signaling the fact that he had work today. I noticed he hadn't had one off day since he'd be been back.

"Why'd you fight?" Warren wanted to know, leaning in closer like a schoolgirl who wanted to know all of the details.

"Lucas," I tried again.

"Remi?" His voice was inquisitive and laced with humor. He was ignoring me on purpose so I would have to answer Warren's prying questions. With the way he watched me I could tell he wanted to know the same answers for himself, unable to obtain them all from me last night.