Six

I slipped open the door, feeling myself physically relax once I saw Mom's blanket rising up and down slowly with each passing breath. The room was quiet and still, except for the soft hum of the air conditioning. The sunlight filtered in through the blinds, casting long shadows across the floor. The air was thick with the smell of lavender from the diffuser on the dresser.

I tip-toed into the room, being sure to remain quiet as I didn't want to disrupt her slumber. The hardwood floor creaked slightly under my weight, and I winced at the sound. I placed the small card made up of printer paper on her bureau, placing the corner of her jewelry box on top of it so the light drift in the room wouldn't blow it away.

I smiled looking down at the 'Get Better Soon' words typed neatly at the top. I made them in her favorite color: emerald green. It was her birthstone and I knew she would value it. The card was adorned with a small illustration of a flower, drawn in intricate detail. Closing it gently, I made my way down the staircase, dragging my favorite sick blanket around behind me.

"Oh goodmorning," Christian greeted me from the kitchen island as he sipped his coffee. "How's my little thief doing this morning?"

I rolled my eyes as I slumped in the seat next to him. He dramatically grabbed onto his cereal bowl, moving it well on the other side of the table. "Careful!" He exaggerated, shifting his seat over. "You're practically a walking germ."

I dragged my eyes off of his disgusted face down to the table in front of me. The kitchen was bathed in a warm, golden light, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee filled the air. The countertop was cluttered with dishes, and a half-eaten slice of toast sat on a plate. "Now you know how it feels living with you," I mustered out through a nasal tone. Sniffling, I reached across the island to grab at the roll of paper towels. "God my head hurts."

Chris nodded, rubbing his own head soothingly. "Yeah mine too," he agreed before stifling out a yawn.

I bunched my eyebrows together and looked around. It had been abnormally quiet in the house, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off.

I felt my nose clog back up as soon as I blew into a piece of paper towel. "Where is everyone?" I sniffled, scanning the area for any signs of life.

Christian was scrolling through his phone, barely paying attention to me. "Hm?" he hummed, stopping at a photo of some random girl in a bikini.

I crinkled my nose in disgust, shooting him a dirty look. "Chris!" I demanded, wanting his attention.

He finally looked up. "What's up?"

"Where is everyone?" I repeated, my annoyance becoming more apparent.

"Logan is at school and Lucas didn't come home," he replied.

My heart sank as I heard the news. "What?" I asked, completely taken aback.

Christian slurped down a few spoonfuls of cereal, stuffing his mouth with Frosted Flakes. I watched quietly as milk dribbled down his chin, which he wiped away with the back of his wrist. "Yeah, he never returned from the meeting yesterday; he asked me to take you to the doctor."

I clutched the fuzzy blanket tighter around me, still trying to process his words. "What?" I asked again, struggling to understand what he was saying.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Which part do you need me to repeat?"

"Why didn't he come home?" I demanded, my voice filled with worry.

"Relax," Chris said, brushing me off as he stood up. He grabbed his bowl and put it in the sink before rinsing it out with water.