Park

It was clear that Arthit was hiding something but it was his story to tell. I went back to my apartment and was busy doing some work when Arthit called me.

"Hey, will you be free tomorrow?"

"What's up Arthit?"

"Oh. I just need something to be collected but I got work. Adam isn't free either so thought I could ask you for help. If it's ok?"

"Hmm. I got class but I will be done by 2pm. Is that OK?"

"Yea sure. That's fine. I know you study at the same university as me. Do you mind collecting something from my lecturer? Need it for my assignment."

"Sure, I can do that. What am I collecting?"

"Some textbooks. My lecturer has 2nd hand copies for me and it's for my studies so he's offered to give them to me."

I agreed and we hung up. The next day, I went to collect the books. I flipped through them and they were like 2nd copies of books on coffee appreciation and making. I thought they had notes but they just seem really old and I think it was just hand me downs for Arthit.

I sighed seeing these books- were they even up to date? And they just seemed so sorry. I decided to stop by the bookshop and looked for the same books. I found the most recent updated version and got brand new ones.

I met up with Arthit at work and passed them the bag full of books. I didn't mention about the new ones as I wasn't sure on how he would take to it. A couple of hours later, I got a text from Arthit asking if I was free for dinner. I agreed and we met at the nearby noodle shop.

"You shouldn't have gotten me the new books."

Arthit pushed the pile of books towards me. I looked at him stunned.

"I.. look the other books seemed really old. I don't know if they are even upto date. Look it's not much. They barely cost a penny. Just take them please."

The look that crossed Arthit's face when I spoke about money, I may have struck a raw nerve. His facial expression changed but he held it together again and just shot me a soft smile, insisting it was fine. We had dinner together and he left, leaving me with like 4 books on coffee. I sighed as I gathered them up and went to the coffee place. I decided to go pass the books to Adam instead as they were of no use to me.

"Hey Adam, I got some books here. Would you like them?"

"Hey bud, thanks for these. They look amazing. How come you have these? I think they be useful for Arthit so I pass them to him instead."

I sighed as I filled him in on what had happened. Adam sighed and shook his head.

"Look it's really nice that you got him the books but money has always been a sore spot for him since he's doing something his parents don't want him to. And you saying they barely cost a penny prolly struck a nerve with him."

I face palmed inwardly. I should have probably be abit more tactful. I sighed.

"Look why don't you give him the books? It's really useful for him and you did say you bought it for him."

"I did. But I feel like I busted it with him. What do I do now?"

"Hey. Arthit is a nice guy. He was just sore about it. Just talk it out with him again. Really. These are really good editions of the books and it will be useful for him."

I nodded, grabbing the books again. I decided to go look for Arthit. I got to his apartment around 9pm and knocked on the door. Arthit opened the door, dressed in sweats, glasses and holding one of the books from his lecturer.

"Park.. you ok? Why are you here? At this timing?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to....be careless about money. Not the way I wanted to put it.. I know your lecturer was being nice by offering you his editions but they seemed really outdated and I really just wanted you to have the more recent ones. It's just me trying to be a good friend rather than showing off I have money. Didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry."

Arthit looked at me for quite a while before beckoning me in. He took the books from me, asked me to sit down and got me a drink.

"I am sorry if I came off as being spoilt. I just don't want to inconvenience anyone else and you spending so much on me without a 2nd word about it just made me feel bad. I.. honestly didn't want to be seen taking advantage of our friendship.."

"And you are not. You know that. I know that. That's all that matters. I just wanted to do something nice for you."

Arthit looked at me and sighed. "They are really nice editions and very updated."

"Yea? Adam said they are like THE IT books of the coffee world."

Arthit laughed, his warm chuckle filling the room.

"You will take it then?"

"I will. Thank you. But let me pay for them once I have saved up for it."

"If it makes you happy, sure."

Arthit smiled at me. We chatted for a while before I left, asking him if he wanted me to throw the old ones out. He said he will donate them as someone might make use of them. I nodded as I left, wondering if such men or women are even made these days.

Arthit really seemed one of a kind.