Park

As I got onto my bike and rode to school, I couldn't help it. My thoughts strayed to the conversation I had with Arthit last night and earlier.

The smile that I had been fighting all morning shone on my face under my helmet, for none to see but one that was very very obvious to me. I reached school and met my boys as usual; Forth and Lam. We chatted about last night and our plans for the weekend. The boys were taking off respectively with their own boyfriends on a dual camping date. Forth looked at me and cheekily asked, "Why don't you come too?"

"Don't be annoying Forth. To play 5th wheel among you guys?"

"5th wheel? Didn't seem that way to me between Arthit and you. Maybe there's something you ain't telling us."

I fell silent, fighting that blush. I didn't say because there was nothing to say but I know I couldn't help it as I also knew I was hoping for something to blossom between us.

"We are just friends Forth. I can't ask him out on a camping date.. you guys go ahead, have fun ok?"

Forth nodded but didn't say anything, just throwing Lam a quiet cheeky look. I rolled my eyes at those two and went about my day. I ended classes a wee earlier, grabbed dinner and headed over to Arthit's. He was busy studying when I made my way in.

"I'm here."

"Welcome, how was your day?" Arthit gently asked me as he took my bag from me and handed me a cold beer. I filled him in on my day as we set the food out and I took a quick shower before sitting down for dinner with him. Just as we rounded off dinner, Arthit asked me something that made me choke on my beer.

"Adam and Forth are going camping with 2 other friends. Adam asked me to come along and invite a friend too. I didn't want to go but he's insistent. Would you like to go with me?"

I looked at Arthit, blinking my eyes rapidly, unsure on how to tell him they were 2 couples, and not friends as Adam had painted the story. I instantly knew Forth had a hand to play in this.

"Hmm what did Adam exactly say?"

"He said its just a bunch of friends hanging out actually."

I sighed softly as I knew I better come clean.

"Actually Adam didn't quite tell you the exact thing and I am sure Forth had a hand in this. Its actually 2 couples going on a camping date. I had refused to go actually."

"2 couples?! Damn, I be 5th wheeling then if I had gone!! Idiotic Adam. No wonder he was insistent I call a friend along."

"If you want to go, sure, can. I come too."

"Na, it be weird na Park. They are all couples. Its ok. I don't want to go, I let Adam know."

Now when Arthit rejected going, I realize I wanted to go. I wanted to go with him and just have an opportunity to hang out with him.

"It will be fun to go camping? I mean it's not like you are going alone. I be with you? It's like 3 couples?"

Arthit looked at me, a slight blush streaking his face. He finally agreed, texting Adam that he be going. I texted Forth nagging lowly at him over how he had played his hand in this. Forth just chuckled and said I will thank him in time to come. I rolled my eyes as we started keeping away the dishes and then cleaned up.

I finally left at around 10pm, heading back to my own place after 2 days. The week saw me busy but finally Saturday rolled around. I was low key psyched for the camping trip and made sure to pack correctly. I usually didn't care much but this time I packed a bit extra, asking Pha for tips on the packing list. He laughed as he helped me out and between us, I made sure I had all essentials.

Arthit came to pick me up for a change, having rented a jeep. He saw my bags and laughed.

"You are really prepared, huh? You didn't strike me as such a person na Park."

"I just thought we should be prepared. I'm sure you are too.." my mouth fell open as Arthit just showed me his backpack in which he had stuffed some clothes.

Damn, now I seemed like some overprepared nerd. I kept quiet as I climbed into the jeep, my face red from low key embarrassment. Arthit just grasped my hand softly and said thank you for being packing everything. I nodded and just sunk lower into my seat. Arthit just laughed and caressed my hands softly as he started the engine.

It was a quick ride, with the saving grace being there was barely any traffic. We reached there with time to spare and we saw the other 2 couples.

Forth and Adam had gone to collect logwood whilst Pha was trying to set up the tent and Lam was trying to help him, help being the key word. I snorted as Pha chased Lam away. Lam and I were tasked to set up the fire whilst Arthit helped Pha with the tents.

Within 2 hours, we had set everything up and then the boys all disappeared for some couple time and promising to get back together in the evening for dinner.

I watched as Forth dragged Adam somewhere whilst Pha dragged Lam to go hiking. I watched as Arthit came out of the tent with a book.

"You plan to read?"

"Yea, for a bit. What are you going to do?"

"I guess go fishing for a bit?"

Arthit nodded as I grabbed my rods and walked off. I was hoping to spend some time with him but I guess fishing wasn't his cup of tea. I sat down, settled myself and waited for a fish to hook. Just then, saw a soft shadow fell over me and I looked up to see Arthit smiling at me. He sat down, his book still in his hand.

"I was hoping we could just hang out whilst you fished and I read? We could do our own things whilst still hanging out together."

I looked at Arthit, my heart warming at his words. It's everything that I could want. I nodded, turning back to my rod before he caught hold of my face. As we were sitting there, slightly over an hour later, I felt Arthit lean his head on my shoulder. I looked over at him as he continued reading.

Before my brain could process the consequence, I kissed the top of his head softly and turned back to my fishing. But Arthit didn't lift his head up and infact, just burrowed closer to me.

If this is considered couple time, damn, I take this any day. Every single day.