Chapter 1: Now Or Never

Hollywood: 1995

Applause rang through the Orpheum Theater as Sunset Curve finished their soundcheck featuring their hit song "Now Or Never", for their show later that night. The 4 teens bowed in unison as the employees of the legendary venue cheered, adrenaline pumping through them, smiles bright.

Luke looked between his friends, grinning and setting his guitar on its stand. "Guys, that sounded incredible! I can't wait for the show, they're going to love us!"

Luke's bandmates glanced at each other as they grabbed their water bottles, shaking their heads and chuckling at their friend's excitement.

"He's not wrong, guys. I mean, 'Lex, you were killing it with those solos!" Reggie said, playfully nudging Alex's shoulder.

"No, I mean you guys were the ones who were killing it," Alex replied, getting looks from the others who were used to him trying to downplay his talent.

"Come on dude, own your awesomeness for once!" Reggie said, shaking his friend by the shoulders, chuckling when he saw a smile creeping onto the drummer's face.

"Alright, I was killing it!" Alex amended, setting his drumsticks down and taking the water bottle Bobby offered him, nodding his head in thanks.

His bandmates chuckled, Reggie and Bobby setting their bass and guitar, respectively to the side before the quartet jumped off the stage to go chat with one of the employees.

The worker they were walking toward was a Latina girl wearing a sparkly shirt, leather vest, and dark jeans, who appeared to be about their age, maybe a little older, with beautiful dark curls that went past her shoulders. Her brown eyes shined with warmth as she looked up from the table she was cleaning, at the 4 approaching teens.

Luke smiled at the girl, remembering her standing front and center cheering for the boys after their soundcheck. "Hi, I'm Luke," he introduced, then gesturing to his bandmates who were flanking him. "And this is..."

"Alex, hey," the drummer said, nodding and giving the girl a small smile and wave.

"And..." Luke continued.

"Reggie, I'm Reggie!" the bassist supplied happily, smiling and waving at the girl.

"I'm Bobby," the rhythm guitarist said, slightly pushing in front of Luke.

"It's nice to meet you guys, I'm Rose. You guys sounded really good, I've been in a few bands myself, and you conveyed the emotion of the music really well," the waitress said with a smile and a nod, resting the washcloth she had been holding on her shoulder.

"Thank you, that's what we do this for, to share our music and connect with people," Luke said, smiling and standing up a little straighter.

"Oh, well here's our demo, and a T-shirt, size beautiful," Reggie said, handing Rose a copy of their demo CD and a T-shirt with the Sunset Curve logo on it, grinning brightly.

"Thanks, I'll try not to wipe down the tables with this one," Rose said, smiling and putting the shirt over her shoulder, grabbing the cloth to clean the other tables.

"Yeah, that's a good idea, when the shirts get wet, they kinda just fall apart in your hands," Alex remarked, shrugging sheepishly.

"Hey, weren't you guys talking about grabbing dinner before the show?" Bobby asked, raising an eyebrow at his friends.