Chapter 8: Kenzie

A/N: Welcome to Chapter 8! I apologize for the cliffhanger last chapter, but I've kept my promise, it was necessary for me and for the story! Again, I highly advise having tissues (and a furry friend, if you have one), with you for this chapter!🦋

I want to dedicate this chapter to my best friend who has cheered me on and pulled me out of countless rabbit holes I've spiraled myself into. If it wasn't for them, this chapter definitely wouldn't be getting posted tonight, and instead would be collecting dust in a dark room for weeks, if not months to come.☀️💜

Quick update: I edited Chapter 7, so Carlos is 12 now instead of 11.

Also, I can't emphasize this enough, feedback, especially comments, does make a difference. Comments give me a better idea of what you guys, my lovely readers, are enjoying, confused, and/or concerned about in my story.

My apologies for the rant. I wish you happy reading, and without further ado, I hope you enjoy Chapter 8!💜

"When you're feeling lost, I'll leave my love hidden in the sun. For when the darkness comes." - Colbie Caillat (from the song "When The Darkness Comes")

Los Angeles, California: 2011 (Ray's POV)

"Ray, there was an accident. It's the Mercers. Christine and Andrew... Th-they're in the hospital."

There were no words.

When I fully registered the news, I clutched onto the countertop with one hand, while the other was still entwined with Rose's. They were the only reason I was still grounded and not entirely lost in my mind. The solid countertop and the strong warmth of Rose's hand, like two anchors, kept me grounded despite the sea of thoughts that threatened to pull me under.

Christine and Andrew Mercer, parents of 3, whose children all had bright futures. Their daughters, who had their whole lives ahead of them, and their son, whose life was cut short at the age of seventeen. Their youngest child, Kenzie, was a sweet, optimistic, happy-go-lucky, seven-year-old girl with the kind of smile and laughter that could fill a room. The girl who was upstairs, in the middle of what was supposed to be just another fun weekend spent with Julie and Flynn, and completely unaware of the phone call that had transpired.

They were upstairs in Julie's room, out of earshot and still in their happy world, the sounds of talking and laughter drifting downstairs to us in the kitchen. Coming out of my thoughts, I squeezed Rose's hand again, as she looked up at me with worry, concern, and uncertainty in her eyes, clear as day. I met her eyes and could feel our shared sympathy for the Mercers, a family who had already suffered enough pain for more than one lifetime.

"W-we need to tell her, Ray. The doctor didn't sound very hopeful, and if the accident was as bad as she said, if not worse..." She leaned closer and continued in a quieter tone, "It isn't likely that they'll make it through the night."

I could hear the tremors and hopelessness in her voice, and I was feeling hopeless myself. The Mercers were some of our closest friends, and to learn that yet another tragedy had struck them, was devastating, to put it mildly.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

While I put my thoughts together, I rubbed my thumb over Rose's hand, trying to ease the tension there, knowing that I had to be as calm as possible, for everyone's sake. Nodding, I looked at her, making sure she was focused on me, and not stuck in her own worries. "I hear you, Ro, I do. Remember, worrying won't help anyone. We're going to get through this together, as a family. Now, Carlos is at Victoria's, and Marie and Caylee are at the game in Burbank. I can call Marie and they can meet us at the hospital. I can have Victoria bring Carlos home and stay with him or ask her to meet us there too. It's up to you, honey."