Chapter 7: In The Garden

A/N: Welcome to Chapter 7, it's finally time for Alex and Kenzie's talk that's been a long time coming. Fair warning, this will most likely be the most angst-filled chapter so far, so do with that what you will. I suggest having tissues on hand, especially for Alex & Kenzie's talk.

Also, I went back through the previous chapters and fixed a mistake I made. The Mercer siblings' Aunt Marie is Marie Hughes, not Mercer.

Alright then, on that note, I wish you happy reading, and without further ado, enjoy Chapter 7!🦋

"But what is grief, if not love persevering?" - Vision (from WandaVision)

Julie's POV

After the rollercoaster of events that hit us one after another today, I welcomed the peace of just sitting on my bed with Kenzie and Calliope. I wasn't entirely sure how much time had passed since the boys left, but the dimming of the sunlight coming in through the windows gave me a slight idea. Kenzie had rested her head on my shoulder a while ago, and if it weren't for her hand still scratching behind the sweet retriever's ears, I would've thought she had fallen asleep. My friend's eyes were closed and out of my peripheral vision I could see the light smile on her face and that her legs were now folded next to her, and Calliope had adjusted her position accordingly.

Hearing the sounds of the oven being used drifting up from downstairs, I decided it was time for us to head down for dinner. Gently, I nudged her shoulder and quietly said her name, trying not to startle her, "Kenzie, it's time to go downstairs."

In response, she groaned and curled farther up on the bed, still using my shoulder as a headrest. I shook my head with a smile and sighed at her antics. "Come on, Z. I'm pretty sure we're having the chicken arroz con pollo and pasteles tía brought over last night."

With a sigh, Kenzie sat up and stretched her arms out, her eyes scrunching shut before opening again as she stood up, Calliope quickly dismounting from the bed to join her. Smiling in victory, I stood up and led the way out of the room, down the hallway, and downstairs to the dining room. Kenzie paused briefly to tie her hair back into a ponytail, making it slightly less disheveled, before walking into the room, greeting Dad, Carlos, and Chess, who was expectantly waiting by the table. She shook her head and dished out Calliope and Chess's dinners, respectively, which they happily helped themselves to. Then, she moved to the counter to help Carlos with setting the table. After everything was in place it was time to bring dinner to the table, which we all helped with.

We all settled in our seats and linked hands, leaving space for the two vacant settings, and Dad looked to Kenzie with a gentle smile.

"Mija, would you like to do the honors?" he asked, relief clear in his eyes at her brighter presence.

"Of course, I'd be happy to," she nodded, smiling as she gathered her thoughts. "Tonight, we are not only grateful for this wonderful meal and those who we share it with, present in both heart and spirit, but also for the opportunities we have been given. Our lives have led us to this moment, in this home, with our loved ones, in an amazing time of new beginnings. Thank you, for this meal, among good company, with many more to come. Amen."

"Amen," we all chorused, opening our eyes and smiling at each other.

I lightly squeezed Kenzie's hand before letting go, letting her know I understood the double meaning of her words. Dad began serving everyone's food, and as he put a few of the pasteles on Carlos' plate, he looked at Kenzie, love and pride in his eyes. "That was beautiful, honey," he said, tears gathering in his eyes, as he set down the plate.