Chapter 4: Square 1

AN: Welcome to the 4th and final part of Episode 1/Wake Up! It's been a minute but we're finally here! I'm excited to wrap up Episode 1 and move on to Episode 2/Bright, and I hope you are too! Without further ado, I wish you happy reading and present to you Chapter 4: Square 1.

Julie's POV

I knew that Music would be hard for me and Kenzie, especially with the uncertainty of our future in the Music program. Based on this morning alone, I knew that Kenzie's nerves were frayed, and Flynn had more than enough worry for the 3 of us. Despite my worries, I tried to pay attention to the performances, though I still kept an eye on Flynn and Kenzie to try to see how they were holding up. A glance at the 2 rows behind me where they were sitting told me everything I needed to know. Kenzie was facing toward the front of the room where Ms. Harrison was preparing to start today's assessments, but her glazed-over expression told me she wasn't present in spirit. Flynn, on the other hand, couldn't seem to sit still, in a looping dance of fiddling with her bracelets and switching her gaze between Kenzie and me, most likely trying to gauge our emotions from our facial expressions and body language.

I faced back toward the front of the classroom as Ms. Harrison read off the first name on her list for the day, "Nick Emmerson."

Nick stood up from his spot in the first row and set up his guitar, hooking it up to the amp next to the piano. He played an original piece, and as the last chords rang out, he received a round of applause from the class. He deserved it, he had some serious talent on the guitar and was passionate about it too. As the applause died down, I took the opportunity to check up on Kenzie and Flynn, letting out a sigh of relief that Kenzie had snapped out of her daze and had a small smile gracing her features as she stopped clapping. Meeting Flynn's eyes in the row behind Kenzie's, I saw my relief mirrored in her eyes, a small smile also on her face.

The assessments continued, and after what felt like a half hour had flown by, we were halfway through the assessments and Veronica Lance was singing her heart out as she covered "Killer Queen", while her fingers danced across the piano keys. L, Lance, the last letter before M, soon Kenzie would be called, and then me. With every crescendo and chord, I was reminded of nicer times, when music was normal at home, whether it was on the radio, Spotify, or being belted at the top of someone's lungs, spatulas and whisks becoming microphones, bowls and countertops serving as drums.

Wondering if Kenzie had been reminded of it too, I glanced at her, and she met my gaze. She seemed to have read the concern written on my face like a book and mouthed, "Okay."

I was drawn out of my mind and away from my worries by Ms. Harrison's announcement of the next performer, "Quinn McKinstry."

Quinn was a sophomore, like Flynn, Kenzie, and I. Kenzie even gave her violin lessons a few summers ago. It was clear that the lessons paid off, as she serenaded the class with a rendition of "All I Ask Of You" from Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. The last notes faded out and the class applauded.

Ms. Harrison wrote notes down on her clipboard, looked up, and voiced the next name, "Mackenzie Mercer."

I watched as Kenzie stood up from her chair and Flynn said something to her, which I couldn't quite hear. I was grateful though, seeing as whatever Flynn had said had a great effect on Kenzie. She stood up straighter, her eyes were clearer behind her glasses, and she was smiling, full and bright, revealing her dimples. She walked over to the piano with an air of something close to confidence around her, and gently set her case on the piano top.

Settling the guitar strap over her shoulders, pick in hand, she stepped closer to the mic stand, facing the class and Ms. Harrison. As she adjusted herself to the sudden attention, her eyes seemed to dance around the room, not landing on anything or anyone in particular.