Chapter 2: Not My Time

AN: My version of Wake Up (Part 2), and the intro to one of my OCs!

(As far as I know, Nick doesn't have a canonical last name, so I made one for him). This takes place a while after where the story of Sunset Curve left off. Now it's time to meet 2 other stars who are tied together by more than just friendship.

As we all know, time is a powerful force, and is known to go fast or slow. It is said that time is able to heal wounds, but unfortunately, that isn't always the case. Some wounds can't be fixed by a bandage, a bit of rest, medicine, or any length of time. Stars can be hidden by clouds, their light dimmed and sometimes they might seem invisible. Mackenzie Mercer, or Kenzie, as she prefers to be called, knows all about time's flaws. It could even be argued that she is more aware of them than most, especially by those that truly know her. Kenzie is no stranger to grief and loss, the twin shadows that never rest, lingering in the air she breathes, the very framework of her life. The loss of her childhood home and the memories it held, grief for loved ones who she adored more than anything.

Heartbreak for the brother she never got to meet.

Los Feliz High School: 2020

A bell rang, signaling the end of the second-to-last class of the day. A girl made her way through the crowded hallway, her long, wavy blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, a Queen T-shirt peeking out from underneath a pin & patch covered denim jacket. Ripped blue jeans and black Vans completed the outfit. Reaching her locker after maneuvering around a group of freshmen, she unlocked and opened the door, unloading her bag of everything she didn't need next period. Every so often, she would tug on the strap of her guitar case slung over her shoulder, which rested on her back, making sure it wasn't loose.

Closing her locker, she noticed a familiar red cap in the sea of students and made her way toward it. As students started to head towards their next bells, the red cap revealed itself to belong to a girl with a black bookbag and a far-off look in her downcast eyes as she headed to her locker. Reaching her destination, the distracted girl looked up and noticed her friend waiting next to her locker door, a small smile on her face, not quite reaching her eyes.

"Hey Kenzie, I missed you this morning. Dad said you left right after you fed Chess and Calliope. Something about meeting with Ms. Harrison?" Julie greeted, readjusting her cap on her dark curls.

"Yeah, I was hoping to convince her to give me an extension on the project, or let me perform it for her alone," Kenzie replied, straightening her case before it could slip.

"No luck, I'm guessing?" Julie asked, a sympathetic smile taking over her features.

"Nope," Kenzie said, popping the p for emphasis and shaking her head with a sigh. "Today's still our last day, no extensions or private assessments allowed."

"I'm sorry it didn't work out," Julie said, rubbing her friend's shoulder.

"Don't be, Jules. if I play it, great, if not, then I'll know that it just isn't my time yet," Kenzie reassured her.

"Just remember that Flynn and I have faith in you, and so does Ms. Harrison. We're here for you 100%," Julie said, confidence flowing through her words.

The third member of the girls' trio walked with purpose down the hall towards them, stopping when she was in front of the girls, who turned at the arrival of their friend.

"Hey underachievers," Flynn greeted, smiling brightly at her friends.

"Hey Disappointment," the girls chorused, looking at her fondly.

"So, have you guys figured out what you're doing today? Ms. Harrison said it's your last chance to stay in the program," Flynn said, glancing between the two girls.

Julie sighed, "We know, we were there. I was actually just asking Kenzie if she had a plan," Julie said, looking at the girl who was fiddling with her rings.

At the mention of her name, she looked up and brought her hands back down to her sides, letting out a deep breath. "Like I told Jules, if I can play, awesome, if not, then I'll just wait until next year."

Flynn reached out and took hold of her friend's hands, squeezing them gently. "Hey, don't let those doubts win. We all know how talented you are, and you know it too."

Kenzie looked up at her friend's words, Flynn's infectious smile spreading to her own features, and nodded her head as a silent thank you. Seeing their friend smile made both Julie and Flynn's moods lift, though they were soon brought back to reality by another voice.

"Can't wait to see you at the pep rally tomorrow!"

The trio glanced in the direction of the new voice, seeing it belonged to none other than Carrie Wilson, bandleader of Dirty Candy, an all-girl dance group of her creation. Standing near Carrie on his phone with his guitar case next to him was Nick Emmerson, captain of the lacrosse team and Carrie's boyfriend.

Moving her strawberry blonde curls over her shoulder, Carrie made her way over to the girls, who were still standing by Julie's locker.

"Hi girls! Don't forget Dirty Candy is playing at the rally tomorrow!" Carrie exclaimed, a sickly-sweet smile adorning her face as she handed a flyer to Flynn.

"Oh my gosh Carrie, thanks!" Flynn replied, a sarcastic smile in place as she grabbed the flyer.

"Oh my gosh Flynn, don't bother coming!" Carrie retorted, her smile still in place as she strutted away, continuing to pass out flyers. After Carrie left, Flynn sent a glare her way as she crumpled the flyer up into a little ball and threw it away.

"That girl is a demon in disguise," Flynn huffed out, shaking her head.

"She definitely hasn't been the greatest person in a while, that's for sure, right Kenzie?" Julie said, nodding her head.

When she didn't get an answer, Julie looked at Kenzie to see what was wrong, and Flynn followed her line of sight to, "Nick, really?" Flynn said, raising an eyebrow at the blonde girl.

Flynn's response tore her wistful gaze away from Nick to face her friends who were fixing her with looks of empathy.

"It's not like that, I just want to get a chance to talk to him like I used to, without Carrie interrupting or sending me death glares. Besides, Nick's a sweetheart," Kenzie retorted in response to her friends' looks.

"It's okay Kenzie," Julie reassured her when it looked like she was going to start fidgeting again.

"Yeah, now let's go prove everyone wrong!" Flynn said with a proud smile, linking her arm through Kenzie's, Julie mirroring the gesture on their friend's other side. Side by side, the girls walked to their next class, Music.

AN: I hope you enjoyed, and feel free to leave your thoughts or anything you might like to see in future chapters in the comments!💜

Question of the Day: Who (aside from her brother) do you think Kenzie lost?

Until next time!