Chapter 3: For Better Or Worse

Kenzie's POV

Walking into Ms. Harrison's class feels bittersweet, and for good reason. Sweet with the feeling of the last bell of the day, one more class before the final bell rings. The sight of the welcoming classroom, full of instruments waiting to be played, shining brightly with the reflection of the sunlight beaming through the windows, sheet music full of inspiration, slightly worn at the edges from constant use. Students eagerly talk about music and their plans after school as they make their way to their seats, some with instrument cases in hand. Bitter with the reminder of this being the last chance Julie and I have for salvaging our spots in the music program. Seeing Ms. Harrison's hopeful eyes shooting between us, empathy painting her expression, making some of the tension leave my shoulders and the weight in my chest lift slightly.

I like how Ms. Harrison does our performance assessments. She asks for volunteers, and then after any and all volunteers perform and receive her feedback, she goes by alphabetical order. This gives Julie and I more time to prepare ourselves, being halfway through the alphabet. Mercer and Molina, the only two students whose spots are on the line. The rest of the class has already performed their piece for Ms. Harrison or is going to today. She always gives us the option to perform something original or a cover on our given instrument, or technically, in me and Julie's cases, instruments. Ms. Harrison has always counted vocals as an instrument, and out of the kindness of her heart, gave Jules and I the option to sing a piece or play a piece on our given instrument, outside of vocals. I know Julie took the option and is planning on playing a piece on the class piano, but I'm still debating. It doesn't feel right to play my guitar, Lee, without singing, or at least humming, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to sing with nothing to hold onto except for the mic stand.

I snap out of my thoughts as Ms. Harrison calls out the first name for today, yesterday having been the first day for the semester assessment.

"Nick Emmerson," Ms. Harrison announced, smiling as Nick finished setting up his electric guitar and began playing. After he strummed his last note, everyone gave him a round of applause, myself included. Despite having heard him perform so many times, I was still impressed with his skills.

It felt like the minutes were sprinting away from me, because before I knew it, Quinn McKinstry finished her violin solo, and then...

"Mackenzie Mercer," Ms. Harrison called, nodding at me.

Taking a deep breath and picking up my case, I stood from my chair, hearing Flynn say, "Break a leg, Blue," from the row behind me, smiling slightly at the nickname as I made my way to the front of the room, a microphone already plugged in and adjusted on its stand waiting for me. I plugged my guitar into the amp sitting nearby and settled the strap over my shoulders. Looking up, I saw my classmates waiting attentively, a few sending encouraging looks my way. Though she still had her cap on, Julie nodded her head in support, and Flynn smiled softly at me.

I guide my fingers toward the strings, stepping a little closer to the mic, letting my eyes wander as I centered myself. That ended up being a mistake. My eyes landed on Carrie and Nick in the front row, Carrie with her arms folded, watching me with a look in her eyes that seemed to say, Don't waste your time. Nick was watching me curiously like most of the other students, wondering if I was really going to play or even sing this time.

The look from Carrie alone was enough to bring all of the doubts back to the forefront of my mind at full force. I almost fully expected to freeze up, paralyzed with fear, as if the basilisk's reflection was staring me down, or Medusa herself.

Instead, I looked at Ms. Harrison, who had faith in me, even though I hadn't played for a long time. I shook my head, stepping away from the microphone and setting my guitar back in its case, sliding the strap back over my shoulders, letting the case rest against my back once more.

"I'm sorry, I can't," I said, looking down, unable to meet anyone's eyes, let alone the gazes of my best friends. Walking up to Ms. Harrison, barely above a whisper, I asked, "May I be excused?"

She nodded her head, and I only stopped at my old seat long enough to grab my bag before exiting the room, knowing I had forfeited my spot.

Sighing sadly, Ms. Harrison called the last name for the day, "Julie."

AN: I hope you enjoyed Chapter 3, at this point in the story, there will be more variations from the show, which will only increase as it continues. Have a great day/night, and stay tuned for Chapter 4!💜

Unless otherwise stated, no images used belong to me, all credit goes to original creator(s).