24 - party

Loud music throbbed from all directions. The nervous feeling of being at a party in Hale's house hadn't really left me since I got here.

We'd had a celebration after surprising Evie, who make a pretty good fake surprised look .She obviously knew, it was no secret. After cutting the cake, the lights dimmed and the music became louder. I'd declined any drinks, and was hyper aware of my surroundings. It had taken me 1 hour of pep talking in the bathroom mirror to myself to work up the courage to come here again.

I could see Hale dancing with Donna and a couple other people, and he just in time turned to check in on me. He periodically did that, which I found very sweet. I reassured him through eye contact that I was fine. Evie was talking to a couple of people near the cake, eating some of the food that'd been laid out. 

I was actually feeling a bit bored. Kile had shown up but he had disappeared somewhere upstairs to go to the bathroom. Sighing, I placed my cup of orange juice down and went upstairs, hopefully finding a place quieter where Kile and I could just sit and talk.

I paused at the top of the stairs, looking down the left hallway with a sudden feeling of dread. My legs started getting weak, and I had to grasp the handle to not fall down. The memories were pushing to surface back up, but I stopped them. I didn't have time right now to have a panic attack.

Never mind, this was a bad idea. 

I was going to turn around and head back down, when I heard a door open. "Rin?" Kile called out, closing the door to the guest bathroom as he stepped out. His cheeks were slightly flushed because of how humid it was getting. He looked really handsome in his tight black shirt and jeans that hugged him really nicely. 

I averted my eyes so I did not look like a creep. "Hey, I was looking for you."

"Do you want to go into that room, it's so loud." Kile said, pointing to the opposite side of the hallway. I gave it an apprehensive look. 

"Yeah... sure." I said, swallowing my stupid fear and following him inside. He closed the door behind me. I stilled. I wanted to ask him why he closed the door, but that would be so weird.

"You okay?" Kile asked, and I didn't speak, just nodded. He looked at me silently for 2 seconds. "Actually, it's too hot, I'm gonna keep the door open, if that's okay?" He smiled, and I nodded again, more vehemently. 

I felt a little relief when he opened the door. He walked back to me, and pushed his hair off his slightly sweaty forehead. He sat on the bed, not pressuring me into coming and sitting next to him or anything like that. I softly padded and stood a little bit next to him, not sitting down but relaxing my body.

"This is a pretty great party." Kile commented, and I grinned.

"Yeah? Thanks, though it was pretty much Hale and Donna." I chuckled, and then sat down beside him, feeling comfortable. 

If Kile is here, I'd be safe. 

He turned his head to look at me, and his tongue peeked out of his mouth to run over his lips quickly. My heart beat sky rocketed at that, and I swallowed down a very dirty thought that popped up in my head.

"S-So, did you drink?" I asked, looking away.

"Nope." He said, and I could still feel his gaze on my neck. 

"Ah, I see." I looked down at my hands, which were squirming into each other in every way possible. Jesus, I felt like I was drunk when all I'd had was orange juice. My heart beat was thudding in my ears, and I wanted to just sink into the bed and disappear from his searing gaze.

I cleared my throat, and made the grave mistake of turning my head to look at him again. 

His blue eyes, indigo under the dim lighting, were so intensely looking at me that I almost jumped off the bed. I started laughing.