17-realization

"Welcome to the Annual end of the year Carnival!" A girl shouted in my face, waving her hands around in her bear costume. "Please proceed to that line, and once you get a stamp you are free to enter and exit as you please!"

I nodded my thanks and followed my friends to the back of the line.

"It looks amazing!" Evie commented, looking around in wonder. "The people really did a good job this time." She was wearing a black top with a short, pink mini skirt that spread around her thighs due to the wind.. Her hair was let down her back, curling slightly at the ends.

"Hey I heard the cheer leaders all helped. Why didn't you?" Hale asked. He was wearing a simple shirt and jeans, along with a jacket on top. I was wearing a sweat shirt along with a jeans, and a coat because I felt really cold. I had no idea how Evie did it, especially with that short skirt.

"I did!" Evie said. "I designed some of the costumes, and I got those stick walkers and stuff to come. My mom pulled in a favour."

"Your right wrist please." I looked up and saw Carlie staring at us, holding up a stamp. She was dressed in a pretty white and pink dress, along with tights and an over coat. Her hair was in a pony tail, and she looked wildly uncomfortable every time her bangs flew into her face. 

"Thanks." I smiled graciously, holding my wrist out. "Have you seen Peter?"

"How would I know where that muscle head is?" she said, holding out her hand for Evie. 

"He's following you everywhere." Evie grinned. "I heard. Too bad I'm absent on all the good days." I'd gone down to her house after that day to check on her, and it turned out she just had a cold. Laurent said he was taking care of her, and her father's a really good doctor so I didn't worry anymore.

"Have fun." Carlie said, sounding like a robot as we went through the small archway.

"I smell popcorn. I want popcorn." Hale announced, making a beeline towards the popcorn stand.

"Do you want to share one?" I asked, and Evie nodded, looking around in wonder.

"Let's go visit that baker stand next." she said, eyes twinkling. "I really want those ginger bread cookies."

"Sure." I also looked around, trying to spot my familiar friend. "Hey, do you see Kile anywhere?" I asked, and she shook her head.

"I don't think so. Won't he be managing something?"

"He said he'd meet me here." I muttered, craning my neck to look over the hoards of people. "Maybe he's just busy."

We went to the popcorn stand and I told Hale to get two orders.

"Wow, thanks for all that help." he said sarcastically, pushing his way through the throngs of people and stumbling out, two over flowing cups of popcorn in his hands. "Worth it, though." he moaned, taking a handful and stuffing it into his mouth after I took one cup from him.

"Here." I said, holding it out to Evie and she took 1, popping it into her mouth.

"Mmh, salty." she said, and I snorted.

"What else would it be?" I asked, and we walked a little more into the carnival.

"Hey isn't that Kile?" Hale said, and I whipped around to see Kile talking animatedly to one of the people in the bear costumes, waving his hands around and pointing to the people. He was wearing black jeans and a full sleeved white sweatshirt, on which he wore a jacket.

"Kile!" I called out, trying to get his attention. He didn't hear me. "Kile!" I screamed again, and this time he paused before slowly turning around, brows furrowed.