14-reminiscence

Chapter 14 

Reminiscence 
_________________

I think my eyes just spontaneously combust as I see Hale walk into school with a bright, rainbow coloured t-shirt and the weirdest looking pants I've ever seen. Evie's hand slips and the water from the water bottle spills all over her.

"Jeez, are you okay?" I ask, as she doubles over in raucous coughs and sputters.

"Please poke out my eyes with a hot iron bar." she says between her coughs.

"Only if you do mine first."

"This is all your fault you know." Evie says, standing back up and wiping her wet mouth. "You're responsible for this."

"Don't look at me, he's your son." I retort, grimacing as his t-shirt catches the light and actually blinds me this time.

"Hey guys!" he exclaims, a shit-eating grin on his face. "How are you this gay morning?"

"I've been scheduled for a pupil retraction surgery." Evie says.

Hale's grin grows wider. 

"You know what, I love being gay." he says, nodding. "Like love it. Ahh, it's so good to be living my truth-"

"Please stop, I physically can't take it anymore." I protest weakly, trying not to look anywhere down his face. "Gosh, Hale. Why are you like this?"

"You even got my shirt all wet." Evie snorts, wiping her now translucent white tank top with a hand kerchief. "Shit, I don't have an extra top."

"U-Um-" 

The three of us look to see a boy standing a little way off, staring at us. He has brown, messy hair and black glasses. His face is slightly red, and he's holding out something.

"What do you want?" Evie and Hale ask at the same time.

"I-I'm Jamie! We're Biology partners, if you forgot." his voice trails off to the end. "I um, your shirt," he goes pink, "I can see inside-"

"Bad day to wear a neon pink bra, dude." Hale whistles, and Evie glares at him.

"I'll just have to wait for it to dry, I don't have anything else. I left my jacket at home." she says, and then glares at a passing group of boys who shamelessly ogle her breasts. 

"Fuck off." I snap at them, and they run away down the hall. I'm offering her one of my tops when the boy speaks again.

"I have, um, an extra t-shirt." The boy - Jamie - squeaks. "Please take it."

Evie blinks at him. "It won't fit me."

"What?" Jamie asks, looking surprised.

"Your top." Evie explains. "I'm like half a foot taller than you."

"And she has humongous boobs-" Hale yelps when I step on his foot.

"You're not h-half a foot taller than me!" Jamie exclaims, voice high and indignant. "It's barely 2 inches! And I'm still growing."

"Thanks Jamie, but Rin here already has a hoodie I can borrow." she smiles, and Jamie blushes all the way to the tips of his ears.

"Yep. I was just going to give it to you." I say, turning to my locker.

"Oh, okay." Jamie shoulders sag a bit. "I, um, I'm glad you have something to wear."

"Thanks again. See you in bio!" she calls out, and he nods furiously before bounding back down the hallway.