eighteen

°。

°。

a crushed eye, and various internal injuries. rengoku was severely injured. he had to get treatment as soon as possible. this was a battle against time, and it didn't look like the flame hashira was anywhere near winning it.

yet, through all of this, rengoku didn't give up or hesitate once. even in his condition, he unleashed breathing form after breathing form at akaza. tanjiro and inosuke were growing more and more distressed, but they knew that the hashira wouldn't want them interfering. they were also aware of the fact that they wouldn't be able to do a thing either way. they'd just slow rengoku down, since he'd have 2 more people to protect, while already struggling in a losing battle. it was frustrating to no end, being weak.

they continued to attack each other.

"flame breathing: fifth form, flaming tiger!"

"destructive death, disorder!"

swinging his katana with a brazen look in his determined eyes, rengoku delivered his attack, charging at akaza. they proceeded to exchange a flurry of blows. the moment the pillar had to take a breath, akaza closed in, hurling his fist at the neck of his opponent, ready to end it all, when he was caught off guard by another breath form. his left arm, and some of his torso were slashed deeply. his left arm was now hanging by a mere thread, so he just ripped the rest off. it regenerated immediately, and the gash on his torso closed up like nothing.

rengoku refused to feel discouraged. even if he knew the disadvantages in a fight like this, since regeneration was instant for akaza and not for him, he didn't halt his relentless pursuit of beheading akaza once and for all. 

not even when black spots danced around his peripheral vision. not even when he could hear his heart thrum against his chest at an enhanced speed. not even when he knew this was a battle he just wasn't fit to win.

rengoku kyojuro refused to back down from a battle. and so, the flurry of movement between the opposing duos continued.

as kazemi watched, she remained in a trance of sorts. the flame pillar's courageous nature made her stomach churn. it reminded the kinoe of her.

she suddenly came to a realization that if she could call the kakushi in advance, then they would have a chance of getting here earlier and on time. 

she immediately signalled for her crow, whispering instructions before sending it off. she was hoping and praying the message would make it in time.

it let out a lower caw than usual in order to not draw attention as it soared through the inky skies. the sleek, black feathers gleamed in the light of the crescent moon.

then, she turned her attention back to the fight. it really wasn't going well. rengoku was heaving, and slowly but surely growing sluggish with his moves.