08 - sparks

the next day, seunghwan follows naeun around wailing, rubbing his hands together, begging for her to forgive him.

"you're so impulsive! now, gunwook and i have to fake-date, and the rumors have already sparked!" naeun says, tugging onto his backpack.

"you say that like it's a bad thing! but fine, i'll go apologize to gunwook, too, okay? okay! don't be mad at me anymore!" he runs off before she could brutally drown him — or whatever evil method of revenge she had in mind.

seunghwan dashes off, going to find gunwook's class. he walks in, shaking his head as he locks eyes with gunwook.

"park gunwook! why would you lie? i never told you to fake-date her, and now she's gonna cook me." seunghwan whines massaging his forehead, later, slamming his head on the desk.

"oh lord... i'm sorry! i needed a last-minute resort. and to be honest, i like her. so i needed to use you as an excuse." gunwook sighs, pleading that seunghwan won't reveal his plan to naeun.

"it's fine, i get it." he acted humble, doing the wise grandpa hand gesture. seunghwan continues,

"but if you like her so much, just confess - or make a move punk! i'll see you at lunch, big sulky baby. if only you would see your face right now." seunghwan pinches gunwook's cheeks in a pouty manner, then skipping out of the classroom.

gunwook falls back into his seat, feeling relieved. he's never admitted to having a crush on anyone before. surely he's fell in love many times, he does everytime he sees naeun. but this time, things were going to be different.

he was determined to court her. he would drop his mean image and show her that he's capable of being a great (fake) boyfriend for her. gunwook snapped back into reality when naeun taps his shoulder and leans in whispering, "the office is looking for us. you're dismissed from class. come with me."

"oh... okay." he scratches his nape, flustered by the sudden physical contact. he accompanies her to the office, "do you think we're in trouble?" gunwook says, sliding his arm around her shoulder.

"definitely not, and get your arm off me." naeun sneers, secretly, she liked it. but she'd die of embarrassment if he knew that. she was confused with herself. oftentimes, she actually really liked the skin ship. it was weird. before, she would dropkick him if he'd touch her in the slightest even if it was by accident.

since when did she ever allow him to get this close? naeun stopped walking. it was like a lightbulb when ding in her head.

'i like park gunwook.'

he turns around, noticing she was no longer standing beside him. "are you okay?" he sees a bead of cold sweat dripping down her forehead. worriedly, gunwook wipes the sweat off her head, sitting her down on the window ledge.

she removes his hand, "it's... i'm okay! i'm fine. let's just go quick." naeun attempts to get up, but he seats her back down. "you're literally red and sweating like crazy suddenly." gunwook carefully eyes her - trying his best to gain an idea of how she was feeling.

"no, trust me, i just realized something shocking... that's all." she gets up, quickly walking ahead of him to keep distance. naeun was internally screaming at herself.

his eyes were literally glistening at her, it made her stomach explode with butterflies. why must he be so caring...and handsome at the same time? the duality he holds.

he catches up to her, "let me know if you're feeling unwell, i can walk you home later." gunwook grabs her hand, holding it tight. naeun looks up at him, not knowing what to say.

her brain was shrieking at her to pull away, to remind her that it was all superficial. but she couldn't let go. the feeling couldn't be ignored. it just felt like the right thing to do.

as soon as they entered the office, the secretary shrieks. "park gunwook, kang naeun! are you two dating?" the other working staff arise from their seats whispering to each other.

the headmaster hears the commotion, looking over, and he's stunned. "oh my goodness... they're holding hands how cute." he holds his hands up to his heart, admiring them.

"oh...um, yeah, she is my girlfriend. so why did you guys call us down?" naeun blushes so much to the point where her face is on the verge of exploding.

she clutches his hand tighter - well aware that they weren't actually dating. the tiniest bit of hope was enough for sparks to fly in her head.

the staff happily shout, "naeun is class president and official school representative! while gunwook is vice president, and he will be joining you for school rep!" as they point at naeun with jazz hands, congratulating her.

naeun and gunwook stare back at each other, smiling and thanking the staff. "as school presidents, you guys have the opportunity to go on a camping field trip. other schools will be joining you as well."

"we'd love to go!" naeun smiles, gunwook nods, caressing her hand gently. she can't help but smile even harder. "great! here's the information form, review it with your parents, and get their permission."

the two leave the office, reading the form together. "it's going to be three nights. five other sets of class presidents from other schools are joining..." naeun shrugs, "it sounds fun, doesn't it?" gunwook smiles, leaning his head on hers.

"too much skinship!" naeun yells, turning her face the other way to hide her flustered state. gunwook notices, turning her back, "are you blushing? you totally love me, kang naeun!" he screams.

it was contradicting, gunwook was the one who was freakishly in love with her. but it was now his turn to tease her.

"absolutely not. you're blushing, too! you've always loved me. just admit it already." she retaliated.

she was lost in her thoughts. being with him had felt like the most rewarding feeling possible. now that they've been spending every second of the day together, it was obvious that they both dropped the conflict.

and with that, she knew she was deeply in love with him all this time. it had been clear, and there was never a valid reason to hate him. it's no secret.

-----------------------

a/n ₍ ᐢ..ᐢ ₎

it's been a while oops... (pls vote)

HAPPY ZB1 DEBUT THOUGH!!