11 - nervous

the next day arrives, it'd be the morning of their field trip. it was a great opportunity to get to work with other honor roll students. however, this was only gunwook's first time, whereas naeun had multiple similar academic opportunities.

as the two are waiting in line, naeun notices gunwook's odd state. he seemed nervous, puffing his cheeks and biting his lip.

"are you nervous? your face is beet red, and you keep fiddling around..." naeun was always quietly observing him. he was easy to read.

"i'm not nervous. i'm just blushing." as expected, he'd flirt with her. it was his causal response ever since they began their fake relationship.

"why would you be blushing at 8 in the morning? you're so odd." she laughed, trying her best to swat away his flirtatious attempts.

"i'm blushing because you're standing next to me." gunwook stared down at her. he intentionally looked serious. he didn't want her to take his words jokingly. since he meant everything from the bottom of his heart.

"junhyeon isn't even here right now. you can stop pretending." she smiled at him, naeun wouldn't believe anything he told her until he would let out his raw feelings by confessing.

"i wasn't pretending, ever." gunwook shocked himself at his response. he didn't even fully comprehend what to say. he spat out a response before debating if it was the right thing to say or not.

naeun couldn't face him after that. she avoided eye contact. the whole interaction reminded her of that phone call when she was sick. she was now embarrassed of her emotional fit and the fact that she basically clinged onto him for gifting her flowers that day. everything he did stuck with her.

as the bus arrives, other students load on first. naeun was completely submerged in her thoughts, not noticing the bus. gunwook disapprovingly shakes his head. he grabs her wrist, leading her onto the bus for her to snap out of her thoughts.

"stop daydreaming so much." he scrutinized, lifting her carry-on luggage and storing it away. naeun felt even more embarrassed. one thing that'll never change is the way he teases her.

"thanks." she puffed out a brief reply. naeun was about to take the window seat but refrained from doing so. she remembered even as kids, gunwook preferred it. he loved staring at the scenery or wherever they'd be heading.

gunwook smiles, seeing her gesture him to take the first seat. the small details were ingrained in her mind, and everything he liked mattered to her.

the ride would be three hours long. to kill time, naeun decided it'd be perfect to finish reading her book. gunwook was unaware of the lengthy ride. with regret, he realizes that he hadn't prepared any source of entertainment.

he didn't bring earbuds or snacks. all he had was his phone and wallet. watching naeun read was no fun, but playing puzzle phone games was no better.

gunwook would be too ashamed to ask her if he could read along since she'd most likely tease him. so instead, every time naeun was immersed into the book, he'd steal glances at her. his height was an advantage.

for three whole hours, it was all he did. naeun was slowly drifting asleep, and soon enough, she was knocked out. gunwook giggled. he found her cute even when she'd be doing absolutely nothing but falling asleep. naeun still looked as pretty as ever.

he decided on being cliché and nudging her to lean on his shoulder so she'd sleep comfortably, but settled on snapping a quick photo of her first. she was too picture-perfect, and he refused to miss the opportunity.

her hair always fell perfectly, and every single one of her features complimented each other. she was perfection. gunwook gently tapped her temple, motioning for her to lean on his shoulder.

naeun, still sleeping was conscious enough to understand. complying, she rests on his shoulder comfortably - smiling to herself.

gunwook leans his head back onto hers, snuggling closer. he stares at the photo of her, smiling so hard until his cheekbones become sore. gunwook giggles, louder than he should be, almost forgetting that she was now in deep sleep.

naeun gains consciousness again hearing his commotion. with her eyes half open, she groans. "what are you giggling about?"

gunwook shifts his phone screen in her opposite direction, "i'm just looking at something... that's really... stunning." he pats her head in hopes that she won't press him for answers.

"tch. stay quiet, or else i'll slap you." she threatens him as she readjusts her head on his shoulder and continues (or at least tries to) go back to sleep. gunwook rolls his eyes, ignoring her, just to fall alseep, resting on his head on hers right after.

------------
a/n ₍ ᐢ..ᐢ ₎

another short chapter yayyyy!! i can't sleep so i'm updating heeheeee ... i didn't proof read yet btw oops