Moving to L.A.

Robots were real, and they were super cool. I longed to own a robot, but they were just too expensive, especially the newer models. Even the AR55X model, which was five years old, was over 800 pounds. That model had problems when it was released because they didn't have to obey anyone, and they were a lot more like humans than robots. They were fixed now, though. The free ones were still around, but I didn't care — the only people who did care were extremists who hated robots. 

I went to the police station in Cambridge, where I worked. I'd never thought I'd be a police officer, but when I heard about the job, dealing with crimes involving robots, I jumped at the chance. I hadn't dealt with many incidents, it was mostly finding lost robots for people, and sometimes dealing with violence against robots. Thankfully, the UK and Ireland had very few crimes that involved robots. Most Europeans were fine with robots, apart from Russia, where free robots were hunted and killed. It was bad for robots in America, too — a lot of robots were killed at protests, and they were often abused by their owners. It was very sad. There were a few other countries that had problems with robots, but most were indifferent.

“Oh, Amelia, Derek wants to talk to you,” Eric said, making my heart beat faster.

Derek was my boss, he was nice, but I always worried when he wanted to talk to me. I'd never gotten in trouble or anything, and I hadn't done anything wrong, but it still worried me.

“Okay, thanks.”

I went to the back, past all the desks where my coworkers sat. I got to his office, then knocked on the door; he opened the door reasonably quickly.

“Hello, come in,” Derek said and I stepped into his office.

I sat on the small black cushioned chair opposite his desk, and he sat on his large black desk chair. His chair was the most comfortable in the whole building, I was a bit jealous.

There was a stray strand of my short brown hair in my face, so I tucked it behind my ear. I used to have long hair, but it was too frizzy, so I'd got it cut so that it was the same length as my chin. It was much easier to manage now, and it made it harder for criminals to pull my hair.

“Uh, what did you want to talk to me about?” I jiggled my leg.

“Well, I know how interested you are in robots, and an opportunity has come up,” he said, making me relax.

I wasn't in trouble or losing my job, what a relief.

“You can have the newest model, the AR60Z, as your partner, investigating crimes involving robots.”

“Oh my, that would be amazing.” I grinned.

This was a dream come true, and it was even better that it was the newest model, which had only come out a few days ago. When models were new, they cost thousands of pounds, which I couldn't afford. If I were to buy a robot, it would be a very old, simple model.

“The only thing is, you'd have to move to America, specifically Los Angeles… they've been having difficulty finding someone over there willing to do the job, so they've started looking overseas. I'm friends with the chief, if you want the job, you've got it.”

It was crazy that I'd have to move to America for the job, but I really wanted a robot — they were so cool and helpful. If I didn't take the job, it'd take me years to save up to buy one, and then there'd be even newer models.

“I'll take it,” I said.

“Are you sure? You don't want to think it over?” He asked.

“No, I'm sure, I want the job.”

“Alright, I'll let her know.”

“Thank you so much.” I smiled.

“Oh, you're welcome. It's a great opportunity and I couldn't think of anyone better to go… just be careful over there.”