01

TODAY'S A SOLID day, you know? It's Saturday, which means I'm raking in time and a half, plus I decided to pull a double shift for some extra tips

TODAY'S A SOLID day, you know? It's Saturday, which means I'm raking in time and a half, plus I decided to pull a double shift for some extra tips. Dad's always happy when I come home with a pocketful of cash.

Before heading out, I give myself one last look in the mirror. I've noticed that I make more money when I curl my hair so that's what I decided on. I run my fingers through them and make my way downstairs. "Alright, I'm off to work," I let my dad, who's on the couch watching TV, know. He hums in response. "Want me to grab the same as last time?"

He mulls it over before answering, "No, blueberry this time." I nod and make my way out. It's already dark by the time I leave the house, so I quickly rush back in and grab a hoodie to cover up.

Dad says those guys used to follow me to work every day because I wasn't covered up. At first, I didn't mind them much—they'd call me pretty and say nice things. But then they started getting handsy, asking for my number, even though I told them I didn't have a phone. Once that happened, they turned nasty. One of them had the audacity to say I'd be hotter as a blonde, and another called me a slut. I still don't know what that means. Eventually, they left me alone.

As I approach the club, loud music fills my ears. No matter how long I've been working here, it still shocks me a bit every time I step through those doors. "Hey, doll," the bartender greets me as I walk in.

"Hey, Micah," I say, rushing past him and heading to the back. I love Micah—he's probably my only friend. Well, at least I think we're friends. Is it necessary to hang out with someone to be considered friends? Either way, he's the only one who treats me decently.

Walking behind the stage where the strippers perform, I take a moment to observe the crowd. It's mostly, if not entirely, men. A stunning woman with a flawless body slides down the pole, and people shower her with money.

She's probably making way more than me.

As a waitress, my uniform is skimpy, but at least I never have to dance in stage. Thank goodness for that, because I have a feeling people would pay me to get off.

"Maya, you're late," Ana scolds, narrowing her eyes at me.

Confusion creases my brow. "No, I'm not. I'm actually early."

Her scolding eyes quickly turn into a glare. "I know the schedule. I manage this place."

"It's 8:50, and my shift starts at 9:00," I assert, knowing I wrote it down correctly.

"Don't argue with me, just get out there!" I take off my hoodie and do as she says.

Before I know it, it's already one in the morning, and the club is packed. "One Mimosa, one Sex on the Beach with extra peach, and two Whiskey and Cokes," I call out to Micah, placing my hands on the counter. "Weird combination," he chuckles while pouring whiskey into one of the four glasses. "Weird group too. Two husbands with their wives, and they've been groping me all night. The wives don't even seem to mind."